Screen spanning on iBook

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Screen spanning on iBook

Warren(Posted 2005) [#1]
This is genius. I just came across this and I can't believe I never saw it before:

http://macparts.de/ibook/

This is a hack to allow your iBook to span to a second monitor and run that second monitor at a higher resolution than 1024x768 (which the iBook is, theoretically, locked at). I'm currently running my Dell monitor on my iBook at 1600x1200. Really, really nice!

Read the warnings on the page and check the hardware compatibility page, but unless you have a really old iBook this should work for you.

Have fun!

Warren(Posted 2005) [#2]
Wow, so this is seriously of no interest to anyone? Damn. :)

Todd(Posted 2005) [#3]
I don't think it's not that anyone's not interested, just that this section of the forums seems to move a little slow. Anyway, I've heard of this hack before, but never actually tried it. I've read on Apple's Discussions site that this could technically invalidate your warranty due to the fact that it changes your firmware (although it's reversible), so you might be careful with it. It's a nice hack, though. It makes me wonder why Apple doesn't just give in and make dual monitor support standard on iBooks.

eni(Posted 2005) [#4]
They don't add official support for it as then it would cannibalise powerbook sales. A few select features withheld can alter buying habits dramatically.

I've also seen this before and know many people who use it without the slightest problem, however it's a moot issue for me as I have a powerbook.

Warren(Posted 2005) [#5]
Oh, yeah, I don't blame them for not publicizing it or making it an official mod. They obviously crippled the iBooks resolution for a reason. I know that having this mod in place is going to save me from having to buy a powerbook for at least another couple of years.