Video under Mac Os X ?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Video under Mac Os X ?

DannyD(Posted 2005) [#1]
Is it possible to play videos/.movs from Blitz Basic under Mac os X ? I couldn't find any documentation about it.

Koekelas(Posted 2005) [#2]
No. I hope this was helpful :).

Nicolas.

DannyD(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks, at least I know now :)

Todd(Posted 2005) [#4]
It should actually be possible with QuickTime 7, although it wouldn't be easy. This would also limit your app to supporting OS X 10.3.9 and Tiger only. Basically, you would use the new "Visual Contexts" in QuickTime to render directly to an OpenGL texture. If you've heard of the new Core Video technology, that's exactly what this is referring to. After you've got your video as a texture, you can then apply it to a polygon in OpenGL. That should allow you to use QuickTime to render to a surface in both Max2D and plain OpenGL. If I get some time, I might actually give that a try.

If you want to support QuickTime 6.5 and older versions, it could still be possible, but I don't have the slightest clue how. Before QuickTime 7, I believe QuickTime actually rendered its video through QuickDraw, the old graphics API that was invented for the original Macintosh. You would have to find a way to connect QuickDraw, QuickTime and OpenGL (i.e. Max2D) together for that to work. I don't think this a very easy task in plain C and Carbon, much less Blitz.

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#5]
anyonw?

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#6]
still wondering :(

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#7]
This might be a good place to start :

http://developer.apple.com/quicktime/

Includes full API documentation, guides, source examples of usage etc...

DannyD(Posted 2013) [#8]
Wondering if this is possible ? Thanks,

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#9]
Not built-in to Blitzmax, but there are several add-on modules that allow video playback in Blitzmax.

Brucey's bah.theora module can play back ogg theora format video files, including sound IIRC.
Pantsonhead made modules for both MPEG2 and Theora, but those are without synced sound.

Also, supposedly this one plays back quicktime .mov from blitzmax, both under windows and OS X:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=89883