Darwin Terminal Question

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Darwin Terminal Question

Tricky(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've been experimenting with the "Terminal".

I know it's Unix based, therefore (odd as it may seem) a Linux command sheet was helpful.

But there's one thing I couldn't really get working.

I've the Mac version of "RAR" but I can't get it to work. I can run it by double clicking it in the finder but since RAR is command line based (the MAC version is), I cannot give any switches and other parameters with it.

Now I tried to run it from the terminal. I could get into the correct directory without problem, but when I type rar (which is really the name of the executable) it says that rar is not a valid command.

Since I'm a complete idiot when it comes to UNIX commands, since before I bought a MAC I've never used UNIX before, I might be doing something wrong.

Do you know how I could get this running?

Koekelas(Posted 2005) [#2]
Is it a binary or is it source? Have you installed it?

Yes Linux adopted the command line interface from previous versions of UNIX. If you want to learn UNIX I suggest that you take a look at the documentation on the FreeBSD website.

Nicolas.

Tricky(Posted 2005) [#3]
It's installed, yes, and when I make an analysis with MacOS Finder its type is returned as: UNIX executable file.

And thanks for the suggestion about that FreeBSD site ;)

Koekelas(Posted 2005) [#4]
Every app on Mac OS X is a UNIX executable file (try opening an .app ([CTRL] + [CLICK], Show package content).

I would like to try to get it work myself but when I google around for RAR I find information on the RAR compression format. Could you link me to the application?

Nicolas.

DannyD(Posted 2005) [#5]
goto the dir with rar
type ./rar

for help type ./rar --help

Tricky(Posted 2005) [#6]
To download RAR use this link WINRAR

It contains all downloadable versions of rar including the Mac version.

@DannyD
I'm currently using my boss' PC (which is Windows). When I get home, I'll check it out.