xCode 2.1 - Universal Binary

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/xCode 2.1 - Universal Binary

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#1]
How do I get Bmax to compile a universal binary? one that works on PPC based macs and Intel Based macs.

Thanks.

JaviCervera(Posted 2005) [#2]
I guess you'll have to wait for an update of BMax to be able to do that.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yeah I thought that might be the case.

Mark, any ideas when?

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#4]
The Intel Macs aren't scheduled for release for another 12 months, so although we have a developers version I doubt you'll see any support from us until next year.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2005) [#5]
Okay, thanks for the upshot. Cheers.

Koekelas(Posted 2005) [#6]
If you have a project written in Cocoa I can show you how to do it but that's not really what your looking for.

Nicolas.

pls(Posted 2006) [#7]
The Mac intels are out, anyone knows about BRL plans to generate Universal binaries?

PLS

xlsior(Posted 2006) [#8]
The Intel Macs aren't scheduled for release for another 12 months, so although we have a developers version I doubt you'll see any support from us until next year.

For those who haven't heard: at today's MacWorld expo, Steve Jobs announced that some of the Intel Mac models will start hitting the streets immediately, and that they hope that all of their models will be shipping with Intel ships by the end of the year -- half a year ahead of the earlier projections.

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#9]
It's next year already? Cool !!! :-D

pls(Posted 2006) [#10]
Today I had my first request for a "universal" version of Su Doku Live (see http://www.deadpixelgames.com for info/screenshots). Does anyone know if it's being worked on? Any hint as to a eventual release date?

I read, in another thread, that Simon and Mark were working on something Mac related, can anyone point me to threads that can somehow provide hints on what is being worked on?

Thanks in advance!

PLS

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2006) [#11]
Hey thats a nice looking little game there. I always love to see polished games made with blitz!

pls(Posted 2006) [#12]
Thanks Jay. More will follow. I liked the experience. In the meantime if you have a Mac have a go at it... Su Doku does not look "like fun", but once you have a go there is no way back...

PLS

DannyD(Posted 2006) [#13]
Just to verify, there is NO universal support in BlitzMax yet? Or am I correct in saying that building a app with BlitzMax on an Intel box will result in an Intel binary ?

Brucey(Posted 2006) [#14]
That appears to be the case Danny, given what Mark said in his release notes for 1.18...

pls(Posted 2006) [#15]
Hopefully in 1.20...

Banshee(Posted 2006) [#16]
Count me in for universal binary support, i'd like to try BMax again soon but there's no point at the moment because Rosetta is dog slow (around 1/40th the speed of my PC in Apple's much vaulted int/float calculation claims, and my PC uses an entry level AMD dual core chip !).

jhans0n(Posted 2006) [#17]
Universal Binaries are a must! I am eagerly anticipating this feature.

arghost(Posted 2006) [#18]
one way to work around this would be to not use binary includes for media, and just compile 2 versions of the binary. the binary itself takes next to no space, so that should not be a problem. and it should be a simple matter to make an applescript or some-such that checks if you use ppc or intel, and run the appropriate binary from there

pls(Posted 2006) [#19]
If you have both the Intel and ppc versions, making it a Universal binary is a single command:

lipo -create -output <new_universal> <plat_specific_bin_1> <plat_specific_bin_2>

...what blitzmax is missing at this point is facilities to let you use the cross compiling features gcc provides (i.e. -arch flag, having everything compiled for both architectures, etc) and using the lipo tool at the end (as seen above). If you have both a Intel machine and a g3/g4/g5 you can just compile the binaries for both platforms and afterwards create the universal binary with lipo.