.sit - What must I do with that?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/.sit - What must I do with that?

Tricky(Posted 2005) [#1]
I've seen lots of useful downloads for the mac, but the problem is that very much developers put their apps in a .sit file and for some strange reasons I cannot access those. Safari does mention that the .sit files could contain an application, but when I try to open that sit file, I get the notification that the .sit document is a document of an unknown type.

I can only guess that this is an error in the system configuration, but I don't know how to fix that.

You guys got a solution?

ashmantle(Posted 2005) [#2]
get a .sit archive unpacker?

Koekelas(Posted 2005) [#3]
You have WinZip (.zip) on Windows and StuffIt (.sit) on Macintosh ;).

Stuffit

Download the free unpacker. It unpacks almoste every format.

Nicolas.

Todd(Posted 2005) [#4]
StuffIt used to be included for free with new Macs, but isn't anymore. The format was big in the System 8 and 9 days, I guess. If you need to open them, you have to use StuffIt; nothing else can read ".sit" files. For that reason, you'll probably want to avoid packaging your own stuff in StuffIt files, too. (If you need to compress something, just right click on it and choose "Create Archive", and you'll get an instant ".zip" file of it).

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#5]
You do get StuffIt Expander as standard on OS X though (at least, I did!).

Todd(Posted 2005) [#6]
I did too, on the first Mac I bought: an iBook G4 in July 2004. I didn't get StuffIt on my iMac, though, which I bought in April 2005. I remember reading that Apple had stopped distributing it with new Macs, but I could be wrong. I do know that it doesn't actually come with OS X itself. A clean install of Tiger only installs Apple apps. Anyway, it's a free download, but I just wouldn't expect every user to automatically be able to open SIT files.

Koekelas(Posted 2005) [#7]
It was still included with Panther but not with Tiger.

Nicolas.

Tricky(Posted 2005) [#8]
Thank you, guys...
I've got myself an unpacker.