Request to Authors: Make IDE Open Source?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Request to Authors: Make IDE Open Source?

AarbronBeast(Posted 2005) [#1]
I read an older post by Jay Kyburz who, I think, made a pretty good suggestion. I was going to suggest the same thing.

I have just purchased BlitzMax, which I am very excited about. But the IDE leaves much to be desired (I'm coding on a Mac). Would it be practical and desireable for the authors of the BlitzMax IDE to make it open source? Maybe someone out there would turn it into a masterpiece in a relatively short time. I'd like to work with the proper tools for my Blitz development.

Thanks for listening.

smilertoo(Posted 2005) [#2]
Something needs to be done about the mac IDE, its woeful.

AarbronBeast(Posted 2005) [#3]
Hey Johndevoy,

I just discovered TextWrangler and I am using that now for my Blitz development. Combined with BlitzBuddy, I also have Blitzmax support (compiling, syntax coloring, help). Check it out here:

http://www.simulacrum.net.nz/index.php

Use it!

Nelson

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#4]
The current Mac IDE will maybe not be opensourced, but in the spirit of cross platform Max programs written using Max, the Windows/Linux IDE will eventually be ported to Mac - and the source will hopefully be released alongside the MaxGUI module.

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#5]
Yeah, that's what I was talking about I think.

It will be difficult to manage 100's of people all making small improvements to a single IDE. I don't imagine BRL will want to try an manage this and make some peoples improvements official.

Does anybody have any experience working on a community project like this?

Tricky(Posted 2005) [#6]
Personally the only thing I miss in the MAC IDE is the function list, were all functions and types I put in my code are listed.

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2005) [#7]
I think REALbasic has spoiled me. I can no longer live without autocomplete.

Hotcakes(Posted 2005) [#8]
It will be difficult to manage 100's of people all making small improvements to a single IDE.

It seems to be going relatively smoothly for the modules so far... except for the lack of a Module Archive...