New to Mac - Ctrl-Alt-Del

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/New to Mac - Ctrl-Alt-Del

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#1]
Hi,

I'm new to the Mac (osx) and have a question for you guys.

Occasionally I screw up and run my program without any way to quit. Is their a system level way to kill a full screen program.

Can you Alt-Tab to the desktop or Ctrl-Alt-Del to the Activity Monitor or something?

JetFireDX(Posted 2005) [#2]
CTRL+ALT+APPLE KEY+ESC = Force Quit. Should bring up a window for you to select a program and kill it. (You may have to hit it a couple times - just took me three presses to get it to come up.)

Todd(Posted 2005) [#3]
You can instantly kill any fullscreen app by hitting Command+Option+Esc. If you use this shortcut in normal windowed mode, it will open the Force Quit dialog, which is similar to the Ctrl+Alt+Delete dialog in Windows. You can also force quit a locked app by Ctrl-clicking the app's icon in the dock, holding down the Option key, and choosing "Force Quit".

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#4]
Thanks guys!

DannyD(Posted 2005) [#5]
CTRL+ALT+APPLE KEY+ESC = Force Quit ?
Apple + Alt + ESC !

Koekelas(Posted 2005) [#6]
The Alt key is called the Option key and the Apple key is called the Command key (or is it the other way around?) :P.

Nicolas.

DannyD(Posted 2005) [#7]
I've used a Mac for years and never bothered to understand why the alt key is called option and the apple key is called command .... why doesn't Steve just rename them ?

ragtag(Posted 2005) [#8]
That's what they were called on my dads old MacPlus. On the current version of the apple keyboard they are called ctrl and alt (at least the one I have next to me).

Robert Cummings(Posted 2005) [#9]
I imagine this is even more muddled with a mac mini using a pc keyboard.