ld Problem

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/ld Problem

N(Posted 2005) [#1]
I'm getting this error when linking any BlitzMax program:

ld: can't use -s with input files containing indirect symbols (output file must contain at least global symbols, for maximum stripping use -x)

Do I need a newer version of something or other or what?

I'm, quite frankly, confused, as I'm new to Mac stuff.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#2]
the only (useful looking) reference I can find to that error is here: http://www.mail-archive.com/qmail@...

N(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yeah, it's not so much a problem with ld itself but rather with versions I think. I get the impression that either a. I need a more recent version of the developer tools (as I'm running Jaguar 10.2.8), and in such a case I will suffer large (that's supposed to be a joke, but unfortunately I can't fit it all in here without making no sense whatsoever).

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#4]
hmmm... did you download xcode or just install from the CD? maybe it's gcc related?

N(Posted 2005) [#5]
As far as I can see, Xcode isn't going to work on my Mac, because the developer section of Apple's website says it requires 10.3.

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#6]
That's not what this thread suggests:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=41264

N(Posted 2005) [#7]
I have the July 2002 tools, so I guess now I have to spend a lot of time downloading 302mb of software on 56k.

Goody.

Thanks, skid.

Perturbatio(Posted 2005) [#8]
I have xcode_1.2_7k246_cd.dmg on my hdd, if I could find a way to extract the necessary files, I could send them to you.

N(Posted 2005) [#9]
No, I have to get the December 2002 Mac OS X Developer Tools. The July 2002 ones are (obviously) insufficient, so I'm not sure what I'm going to do about this other than fire up wget.

Koekelas(Posted 2005) [#10]
You can order the developer tools on CD. Much faster than downloading I think :).

Nicolas.

N(Posted 2005) [#11]
You can order the developer tools on CD. Much faster than downloading I think

From what I can see of Apple's developer site, you have to hand over $99 for an ADC membership before you can order a CD with developer tools on it.

Koekelas(Posted 2005) [#12]
The basic ADC membership is free. The last time I checked it was 10$ for the developer tools CD (or was that the student version?). Anyway, by now you have already downloaded the developer tools I guess.

Nicolas.

N(Posted 2005) [#13]
Nope, I'm waiting for our cable to get set up, since it's now in our area (and already up to our house, so we just have to get a modem and the wireless AP and cards for everyone but me because I'm the only person in this house that actually got a head start on this...).