Connecting Mac to wireless PC network

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Connecting Mac to wireless PC network

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#1]
Can it be done? What kind of card do I need?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#2]
this probably aint what you are talking about... but i've got my iMac wired into the router, which has wireless and wired capability... and it talks to my wireless pc clients fine... Win2000 server manages the mess...

--Mike

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#3]
I'm going to be living with a mate who has a wireless router - I won't be able to wire directly into that so I need a wireless card of some sort, so it's not exactly what I was talking about, but thanks for the response. Don't seem to be many Mac users here, or they're quiet types!

Todd(Posted 2005) [#4]
Mac's can connect to WiFi networks just like any PC since it's all based on the same technology. My iBook is connected to the internet through a normal Linksys Wireless router, and I've never had any problems. All you need to make it work is an Airport Extreme Card. If you have an iBook or PowerBook you might already have one. If you have a Mac mini, iMac, eMac or PowerMac than you'll most likely need to buy one separately. You can check to see if you already have one installed by opening System Profiler and looking for the words "Airport Card" in the list of hardware.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#5]
Thanks very much, Todd - I wasnt sure if Airport Extreme was compatible.