Can't compile anything on Mac

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Can't compile anything on Mac

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#1]
I get the following error:

Compiling:simplephysics.bmx
sh: line 1: as: command not found
Build Error: Failed to assemble /Applications/BlitzMax/samples/digesteroids/.bmx/simplephysics.bmx.d.s

What am I doing wrong? Xcode 1.5 is installed as far as I know. I am running MacOS 10.3.8.

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#2]
If the as command is not found (powerpc assembler) then I doubt Xcode tools are installed. Check by using the finder and going to [MacintoshHD]->Developer->Applications.

If it isn't use the finder to go to [Applications]->Installers->XCode Tools and run the installer.

If that isn't there put the OS DVD that came with your Mac or the separate XCode Developer Tools CD in the slot and install from disk.

Jeroen(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thank you Skidracer, it turned out to be that Xcode wasn't installed properly. Mac newbie here!

bobbo(Posted 2005) [#4]
Same problem... What if I have Mac OS 10.2.8 and no Xcode installer at all...

BlitzMax specs says: "MacOS X 10.2 or greater; Project Builder or X-Code developer tools preinstalled"...
What is Porject Builder? I have just an old G3 Mac with Mac OS X 10.2.8 and no way to find another OS.

Floyd(Posted 2005) [#5]
Nobody else has answered, so you'll have to settle for advice from somebody without a Mac.

You can download developer tools from Apple's website for free. Just do a google search for XCode 1.5 and you should find it quickly.

bobbo(Posted 2005) [#6]
Thank you, I had already found that, but Xcode is only compatible with Mac OsX 10.3 or later.
I've also found a download for the original Project Builder SDK from Apple, I hope it will be enough for Blitz Max (more than 300 Mb of download...).

Red Ocktober(Posted 2005) [#7]
Sinitek... im in the same boat as you... i got the version of Developers Tools for 10.2.8 and it works perfectly...

xcode is a marketing name for the revamped project builder with some updated gear...

make sure that you get the right one... i think it's called Dec2002DevToolsCD.dmg ...

mount the dmg and install... it's all you need for 'Max.

--Mike

bobbo(Posted 2005) [#8]
Thanks for the info, I will install it as soon as possible (now I am too busy because of my job).