Ready for Primetime?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Ready for Primetime?

John-D(Posted 2005) [#1]
Ok, so I've written a couple of Games in Blitz3D over the past couple of years - Gridrunner for Guildhall and Gemstorm for RetroSpec.

I love the rapid development aspects of Blitz but compiled app stability is really important to me. How do you long term testers find the stability of built apps (with the obvious caveat that Blitz can only be truly stable with decent coding :))?

Cheers

John

Beaker(Posted 2005) [#2]
Did you mean for this to be in the "MacOS X Discussion" forum? Are you refering to BlitzMax or other Blitz versions?

John-D(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yes, I did - and I was talking about Blitzmax :)

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#4]
John did you ever finish Zub?

As far as I can tell Bmax exes are perfectly stable. I've had a game running on my Mac Mini for a couple of days at a time. It's early days and I'm sure there will be bugs uncovered but stability has never been a problem with Blitz languages.

John-D(Posted 2005) [#5]
Hi John,

First of all - We're not worthy! We're not worthy! etc ;-)

Secondly - well, there's good news and there's bad news. The good news is, yes I did finally finish Zub. Well, all bar the high score table and menu system. The bad news is, my house burned down :( Did I have backups? yup. Were those backups offsite? Nope :(

It's a shame really, because it was a fantastic remake and quite possibly the best game I've written - very fast and smooth, lovely transparency effects, and very very frantic :)

I do still have the graphics available and it's a title I intend going back to if I get a moment. I'm currently attempting to bootstrap a little mac shareware software house, but Zub would (obviously) be a non commercial effort :)

cheers

John

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#6]
Sorry to hear about your house. The same thing happened to Anthony Flack of Platypus fame. I saw an early version of the Zub remake and it looked ace.

Ste and I are thinking of makings sequels to a few of our old games. Taking the basic ideas (which I think are generally pretty good) and developing them in to actual good games. Legally, we'd have to change the names of most of them sadly so they would be unofficial sequels.

Glider Rider is probably the first one but I've always wanted to do really good version of Zub.

Anway, we want to launch our new venture with actual original games first so the updates will have to wait.

John-D(Posted 2005) [#7]
Aye - I'm currently coding what I hope will be the Repton/boulderdash game to end em all :) The good news is that I've had a fair amount of success with a shareware application I've written (http://www.nelesoft.com) and discovered that not only is the Mac shareware market really thriving right now, but the vast majority of shareware games out there are terrible :)

I smell a niche ;-)

John Pickford(Posted 2005) [#8]
I'd better hurry up with my game then... We're counting on making a living from this.

John-D(Posted 2005) [#9]
Hi John,

The email addy in your profile isn't working. Any chance you could drop me a quick line at jmd@...?

Cheers

J

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2005) [#10]
To be fair, the vast majority of shareware game on any platform are terrible.

How many Tetris clones does the world need?