screen capture utility

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/screen capture utility

Pavlov(Posted 2005) [#1]
Can anyone recommend a screen capture utility for a game I'm writing?

Thanks.

jkrankie(Posted 2005) [#2]
whats wrong with apple+shift+3?

this takes a snapshot of the whole screen (should leave the pic on the desktop/pictures folder)

or shift+apple+4 lets you take a pic of a part of the screen using the mouse.

or the grab program found in \applications\utilities

cheers
charlie

Richard B(Posted 2005) [#3]
... or if you want (a paid for) utility with all the bells and whistles try Snapz Pro

http://www.ambrosiasw.com/utilities/snapzprox/

I have used it successfully for a long time.

Richard.

jkrankie(Posted 2005) [#4]
what does snapz do that grab doesnt then?

SJB(Posted 2005) [#5]
After pressing Apple+shift+4, press Space and the cursor changes to a camera and you can take a snapshot of just the window under the cursor (the window highlights).

However, I seem to remember that I once had a problem using the built-in capture keys to capture a window using OpenGL. Perhaps an overlay was being used.

I also have used SnapzProX (it came with my powerbook, so was free :), and it does lots that grab doesn't (see the web site).

Pavlov(Posted 2005) [#6]
I put the game in windowed mode and did a Apple+shift+3. Thanks for the input.

TLM(Posted 2005) [#7]
Is it possible to do this programmatically? Like if I wanted to make a screensaver like the old dog one. Take a screen shot of the current screen, switch to graphics mode and load it, and then do what I want to the screen.

Just curious..

Thanks,
Alex

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#8]
The only thing I don't like about the apple-shift-3/4 thing in osX is that they now changed it to create a PDF file of the snapshot. This is highly annoying when you want it to be an image - gotta load up graphic converter or the like, or export it as an image, etc... longwinded.

TLM(Posted 2005) [#9]
PDF file? I just paste it into Appleworks Draw and export as JPG or PNG, whatever format you prefer.

Brucey(Posted 2005) [#10]
Or you can open it in the default Preview app and choose Export.

It gives me the following format choices for saving :

BMP, JP2, JPEG, MacPaint, Photoshop, PICT, PNG, QuickTime Image, SGI, TGA and Tiff

I was annoyed at first with the PDF issue, but am happy enough to do an export with Preview now..

:o)