C++ compiler for Mac Os X?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/C++ compiler for Mac Os X?

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#1]
Can anyone recommend a decent (free or very cheap) C++ compiler (preferably with IDE) for Mac Os X?

NigelC(Posted 2005) [#2]
how about the one that comes with OS X??

Its free, its very good

http://developer.apple.com/tools/xcode/

DNielsen(Posted 2005) [#3]
its not good. its THE choice ;-)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#4]
Of course I knew about THAT one ; )
Thanks

Warren(Posted 2005) [#5]
Then why aren't you using it?

JaviCervera(Posted 2005) [#6]
Eclipse with the CDT plugin for C/C++ development.

http://www.eclipse.org/

Brucey(Posted 2005) [#7]
You can do C/C++ in Eclipse?
Next you'll be telling me you can do Blitz Max in it too!

Actually, I hear the C/C++ eclipse dev is quite good, though my experience has been limited so far to Java, Actionscript, PHP and Blitz.

The gcc suite that comes with OS X can apparently compile C++, amongst other things. The IDE isn't too bad either, and includes a GUI editor (of sorts).

:o)

SJB(Posted 2005) [#8]
The gcc suite that comes with OS X can apparently compile C++, amongst other things. The IDE isn't too bad either, and includes a GUI editor (of sorts).
Actually, XCode 1.5 is very, very nice. It supports Objective-C, C, C++ and Java (both Cocoa-Java and standard Java), and has support for many other languages such as Ruby, Pascal, AppleScript, and Fortran.
The GUI Editor (Interface Builder) is extremely powerful, especially when used in conjunction with Objective-C.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2005) [#9]
I've installed Xcode now, but the only C++ option I can see is a command line compiler. Searching on the internet I've seen a lot of people saying that the Xcode/c++ combo isn't that hot.

How do I kick off C++ in the IDE (not command line)?
I'm going to take a look at Eclipse, too. Thanks for the link.

SJB(Posted 2005) [#10]
It depends on what you are trying to do. If you want to write a command line tool, choose 'C++ Tool' from the New project dialog. If you want to build a GUI application you choose either 'Cocoa Application' or 'Carbon Application', depending on whichever framework you want to use.
The Cocoa projects assume that you are going to use Objective-C, but you can also use C++ (which Apple calls Objective-C++).

If you are wanting to make normal Mac gui type apps I would recommend that you look at using Objective-C. It is easy to learn, if you are familiar with C, simple to use, and because it is the 'natural' language for OS X development, it gives you the full power of the Cocoa frameworks. There is plenty of info that comes with XCode, including a full manual for Objective-C.