Interesting little alternative IDE

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Interesting little alternative IDE

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2005) [#1]
http://membres.lycos.fr/kamashinsoft/bmaxcode.sit

Appears to be an attempt to make a RealBASIC type code editor for bmax. A little buggy, but shows promise.

Warren(Posted 2005) [#2]
Just so people are aware ... this is a beta test, that quits out every 15 minutes (intentional, some kind of time limit the author put in) so it's not entirely useful at the moment. Also contains this rather disturbing item in the readme:

- THERE IS NO UNDO/REDO and probably will never be (cause I don't have the faintest idea of how I can do code that... maybe... maybe I'll look into it someday, depending on my app's success :) )

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2005) [#3]
Interesting. I would have a more difficult time coding autocomplete than undo.

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2005) [#4]
The developer asked me to announce this:

A new version is available, which has these new features:

• Search/Replace functions (THE REPLACE ALL FUNCTION IS STILL MISSING, I KNOW. IT WILL BE AVAILABLE IN THE NEXT RELEASE SO NO PANIC)
• The possibility to resize (modify its width in fact) the listing part of the windows (if you have globals with long names for example this can be handy)
• Some menus have been implemented
• App will now run for 60 minutes before saving and quitting instead of 15 minutes (also, maybe it s not obvious but after the app quit, one can relaunch it and continue its work... it s not a 60 minutes absolute limitation... it's just something I want to be slightly annoying in case I decide to make bmaxcode shareware one day)

He would appreciate bug reports.

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2005) [#5]
Another update. Now with undo, compile/run, and the ability to specify the app icon and version.

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2005) [#6]
Another update. New features include:

- Application is now free: no more time limitation
- A few bugs corrected (when a project was opened and the user choose to "Open Recent" or "Import", a small bug with the prefs)
- In the file and type editing windows the Headers "Globals, Functions, Fields..." are now written in bold if they have at least one item to show
- When creating a project you can now choose the color depth (which is something I forgot in previous version)
- You can comment/uncomment whole block of text using the Edit menu
- Replace All function is finally here

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2005) [#7]
Yet another update.

- Corrected a few bugs (like, if you're editing a function, then close the window and re-open it, the code of the first function was deleted...)
- Changed completely the way project are saved: the whole project is saved in th .bmco meaning that the original files(.bmx) are left untouched (this is better for security/backups). However, this require that every users of former versions re-create their project (just choose FileMenu/Import and add your files in the new .bmco... this doesn't mean you have to re-write your whole project of course)
- Adapted the run/make release functions
- Added some export function to allow users to export one file at a time or to export the whole project in a .bmx ready for BlitzMax

Pavlov(Posted 2005) [#8]
The link shown above is dead, does the author have a web site? I've been toying with the idea of creating an IDE in either Obj-C/COCOA or RealBasic. Anyone interested?

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#9]
As soon as the GUI stuff is done for BMax im going to either work on improving the existing IDE or start a new one.. (as a side project)

Pavlov(Posted 2005) [#10]
I think a lot of people are considering writing an IDE for OS X in either Obj-C, RealBasic, or Java. The developers here should pool together and create an IDE and make it available on sourceforge. Why wait for the GUI to come out? Divide and conquer.

Jay Kyburz(Posted 2005) [#11]
Because I'm not interested in Java, Realbasic or Obj-C.

I'm currently using Eclipse and its great. If you are happy to work in Java you should consider re-doing and expanding the eclipse plug in.

The syntax coloring is great and I'm making use of the svn plug in for source control. I only wish I could debug in it.

If the debug features where there it would be much cooler than all other ides and be cross platform.

Pavlov(Posted 2005) [#12]
Just tried out the plugin for Eclipse, it's pretty nice. I don't have it fully configured yet but did import a project and I like it. Its what I had in mind when I was thinking of creating an IDE. Think I'll give it a try for a while and see how it pans out. Thanks.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#13]
Why not write it in Blitzmax with openGL graphics interface?

Pavlov(Posted 2005) [#14]
eh, personal preference, nothing more nothing less

DannyD(Posted 2005) [#15]
The page is 404 ,whats up ?