BlitzBuddy v1.0

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/BlitzBuddy v1.0

SJB(Posted 2005) [#1]
I have just released version 1.0 of BlitzBuddy.

BlitzBuddy is a build tool for BlitzMax on OS X. It is primarily intended as a way to interface a third-party editor to the BlitzMax compiler, although there are some functions that you might find useful even if using the standard BlitzMax editor.

You can find more information here:
http://www.simulacrum.net.nz/blitzbuddy.php

If you have any questions or problems, leave a message in the support forum:
BlitzBuddy Support

marksibly(Posted 2005) [#2]
Hi,

Wow, that's really nice!

How long have you been Cocoa-ing (assuming it is done in Cocoa)?

SJB(Posted 2005) [#3]
Yes, it is Cocoa. I guess I must have been working with it for about 2.5 years now - I first bought an iMac back in the OS X 10.1 days.

Cocoa makes app development so easy (well mostly anyway), it's by far the best application framework I have ever used.

Glad you like it.

Kanati(Posted 2005) [#4]
I knew when it was released on the mac we'd start getting titles with 'buddy' and 'pal' and 'smoochy' in them before long...

Looks nice though. :)

Kanati

Warren(Posted 2005) [#5]
Looks great! I'll play with it this weekend...

SJB(Posted 2005) [#6]
I knew when it was released on the mac we'd start getting titles with 'buddy' and 'pal' and 'smoochy' in them before long...

Because using a Mac gives you a happy, positive outlook on life, whereas Windows...

SJB(Posted 2005) [#7]
Here is a script I forgot to include. It finds the word at the insertion point in BBEdit and passes it to BlitzBuddy, which then looks up every command starting with that word and shows them all in its help viewer index list:

tell application "BBEdit"
	tell window 1
		set sel_offset to characterOffset of selection
		set cur_line to startDisplayLine of selection
		try
			select (last word of display_line cur_line whose characterOffset ? sel_offset)
		on error
			select display_line cur_line
		end try
		set s to selection as string
	end tell
end tell

tell application "BlitzBuddy"
	showhint s
end tell

Phish(Posted 2005) [#8]
Wow, looks fantastic! Really like the look of this. Shame I don't really like BBEdit all that much... it's not barebones enough for me anymore :-)

I'd love to see some more "modules" for BlitzBuddy, so it works in SubEthaEdit for example (my editor for choice outside of BlitzMax).

SJB(Posted 2005) [#9]
I'm not a huge fan of BBEdit either, but it is the best editor I have found on the Mac. It seems that most of its functionality is geared towards HTML, which is OK when I am doing HTML, but not so good when doing anything else, including things like PHP. My all-time-favourite editor is CodeWright on Windows, and no other editor comes close to that in flexibility and power on the Mac or PC.

I intend to make sets of scripts for other editors once I have implemented all the features I want. I have SubEthaEdit on the list of editors to look at, along with XCode and TextMate.

Warren(Posted 2005) [#10]
TextMate has been really excellent for me so far. I haven't tried to get this buddy stuff working with it yet though...

skidracer(Posted 2005) [#11]
SJB, can you email me if you have a moment.