Using BBEdit to develop BlitzMax apps

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Using BBEdit to develop BlitzMax apps

SJB(Posted 2004) [#1]
I have made a little kit called BlitzBuddy to make it easier to develop using BBEdit 8. At this stage you can use it syntax highlight source, and compile projects. Compile errors are displayed in a BBEdit results window.
It is all controlled via AppleScript so you can customise it to your liking.

Future additions may include integrated function tips and help, and completion through a glossary.

Here is screenshot

And here is the download.

Read the instructions in the Readme!!

Phish(Posted 2004) [#2]
Looks fantastic! That means it already just about has all the functionality of the built in IDE, right? What about debug/quick build options?

Hmm, only reason I might not want to swap over (and the reason isn't that I don't have a full version of BBEdit, because I do!) is that BBEdit doesn't have tabbed documents does it? I find that functionality very useful in blitz. I seem to be constantly working on several documents at once...

SJB(Posted 2004) [#3]
No I haven't added options for debug builds yet - that is next on the list. It is pretty basic at the moment as I was trying to see what was possible.

BBEdit 8 has a document drawer which does much the same thing as tabs in the blitz editor. You can either open multiple documents in the one window, and select between them with the drawer, or open each document in a separate window.

MRaven(Posted 2004) [#4]
This is great. Any suggestions for an editor which does not cost 200$? :)

Warren(Posted 2004) [#5]
TextWrangler, available from the same people, only costs $49.

matt!(Posted 2004) [#6]
The trial version of BBEdit lasts 30 days, it's worth a try.

SJB(Posted 2004) [#7]
TextWrangler doesn't support the codeless language modules required for syntax colouring. Not sure about its AppleScript support.

You could also look at SubEthaEdit, TextMate, jEdit.

Again, I'm not sure about their AppleScript support for integrating with BlitzBuddy. You could still build projects, but the stuff like going to the line with the error would be tricky.

Richard B(Posted 2005) [#8]
This is great! Thanks for making it public.

cheers,
Richard.

Richard B(Posted 2005) [#9]
SBJ - your download link seems to have broken.

Richard.

Richard B(Posted 2005) [#10]
Its- OK - I found it - version 0.5 :)

thanks,
Richard.