Crud

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Crud

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#1]
Got my powerbook... G4 800Mhz 15.2" Powerbook Titanium... It had Panther (10.3) on it but I decided to wipe and reinstall from scratch from the install CD's. Version 10.1.somethingorother. CRUD. Was 10.2 a free upgrade or do I now have to go buy 10.2 or 10.3??

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#2]
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106704

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#3]
Umm... you probably have to pay for each upgrade. Here we had to buy Panther which was like 100 bucks at least.

matt!(Posted 2004) [#4]
10.2 and 10.3 are purchasable upgrades just like Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP etc

Loonie(Posted 2004) [#5]
$129 for panther :)

Koekelas(Posted 2004) [#6]
Macintosh OS X Tiger 10.4 is coming out in the beginning of next year so probably if you buy Phanter now you get a free update to Tiger.

Nicolas.

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#7]
It had 10.3 on it but your install cds were only 10.1? Did you get ripped off or what? I know you got it second hand, but surely 10.3 should have been included in the deal if it were on the computer already

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#8]
nah... the guy said that it came with 10.2 (I think... he MIGHT have said 10.1). He also said that he had 10.3 on it currently, along with MS Office and Dreamweaver. I knew about it prior to handing over the money. It's not a big deal. I just gotta go buy a copy of 10.3 now. :/

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2004) [#9]
You think they give free updates to Tiger based on how recently you bought panther? I bet they will charge again for the full upgrade price.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#10]
I tell ya what... I feel like I have a freakin amiga again. Only one $%#$%@$ store in the area sells macs that I'm aware of and my phone conversation went thusly...

"How much does panther cost?"

"128 dollars"

"ok, and you have that in stock, right?"

"No I don't. But I can order it."

"If I wanted to order it, I'd order it online."

<click>

I can't even find the OS... How much luck am I going to have finding day-to-day software? Sheesh. Good thing I have the PC beta of bmax or I'd have flipped out by now trying to get the powerbook in a state to run bmax.

Loonie(Posted 2004) [#11]
i think their policy is 90 days previous to release date. then you get an upgrade :)

or store credit, you get to pick...

oh, btw, just order online...or drive to the nearest apple store.....but trust me, i know the feeling.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#12]
ok... 10.3 purchased... Cripes! :)

Now hopefully I can get this sucker up and running later.

Kanati

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#13]
eek... about 150 meg worth of updates to download...

Hotcakes(Posted 2004) [#14]
heh.