Using an .icns file

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Using an .icns file

blacknite(Posted 2004) [#1]
How do you configure the compiled BM .app to use a .icns file instead of the default icon?

Loonie(Posted 2004) [#2]
compile, click on icon, cmd-i and change the icon....you can copu it from the info on the icon you want :)

just like you change any other icon on the mac

blacknite(Posted 2004) [#3]
thanks, i did not know that. must be because i came from a windows enviroment and have only been using a mac for 2 years.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#4]
Ya learn something every day... I didn't know that either!

blacknite(Posted 2004) [#5]
the only problem is the it does not keep it's tranparancy. We need a SetIcon function for blitzmax

matt!(Posted 2004) [#6]
Yes, or a method of creating a Resources folder and contents in the application package.

MRaven(Posted 2004) [#7]
Another question because I'm still a newbie on Mac stuff (man, Macs REALLY are amazing ;)). Which is a good tool to create a .icns file? I own photoshop, is there a converter or something?

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#8]
apparently there's an icon editor with the developer tools.

matt!(Posted 2004) [#9]
I use Iconographer (donationware)

http://www.mscape.com/products/iconographer.html

Todd(Posted 2004) [#10]
Which is a good tool to create a .icns file?

Try the "Icon Composer" utility under /Developer/Applications/Utilities.

As for setting the icon the "right" way (using the Resources folder) as msephton mentioned, I wrote a little app to do just that. Just drag your icon into the first slot, and your app into the second.

Download Here (57 Kb)

MRaven(Posted 2004) [#11]
Try the "Icon Composer" utility under /Developer/Applications/Utilities.

That's what I love about Mac. All you need is allready coming along with the OS. :)

Loonie(Posted 2004) [#12]
the copy-paste process in the info window should keep transparency.....it works on my end no problem :)

and yes, macs rock...incredible little machines.

Matthew Smith(Posted 2004) [#13]

That's what I love about Mac. All you need is allready coming along with the OS. :)

Now if that's on Windows ..... it's called a monopoly!!!

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#14]
Now if that's on Windows ..... it's called a monopoly!!!

LOL (quite literally)

*EDIT*

Mind you, if MS did provide an icon editor, it would be integrated into the taskbar and if you remove it, you wouldn't be able to start windows.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#15]
its only monopoly if you can not get rid of the stuff as with IE.
otherwise there would be no real problem.

but thanks to IE windows is far simpler to infect with viruses and hack so more and more people for linux and mac ;)

eni(Posted 2004) [#16]
And also, using the browsers example, OS X also ships with IE giving you the choice out of the box.

[Edit]
For correctness I'll add the OS X version which ships with new macs comes with IE. I cannot speak for when you buy it separately.

matt!(Posted 2004) [#17]
Thanks for the IconSwitcher app, Todd!

Tricky(Posted 2005) [#18]
Sorry for bumping this month old thread, but I got one tiny question, about this.
I''ve tried out Todd's Icon Switcher program, when I look through the package contents, of the app I changed I can really see that IconSwitcher made changes, however these changes do not show in my Finder Windows. Of course, I'm 100% sure that this has to do with disk caching, and that Finder uses the old settings as they are in the memory. But is there a way to make the Finder reload that without me having to restart my computer?

Todd(Posted 2005) [#19]
I know, it doesn't reload the icon like it should. I can't remember at the moment why it doesn't, but I'll look into it. For now, instead of rebooting, just option-drag the app to the desktop to create a copy. The copied file should have the correct icon.

Koekelas(Posted 2005) [#20]
Open the info for the file (Command + i), tab once (this will select die icon), press backspace. Voila!

Nicolas.

Tricky(Posted 2005) [#21]
I've already found out that rebooting doesn't change a thing, on Nicolas comment, I tried that, but nothing happened. And on the copied file, yeah, that method works. But I wish there's a simpler method.