"Sierra"

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/"Sierra"

Tricky(Posted 2016) [#1]
Well, since BlitzMax has often shown problems with OSX updates or in this case an update from OSX to MacOS, I was wondering if the update to "Sierra" will cause any problems to BlitzMax or not. Does somebody know?

Winni(Posted 2016) [#2]
I haven't played with BMX on Sierra, yet. But I already know that ESET CyberSecurity Pro is barking for an update for 10.12 - which doesn't seem to be available yet.

It's safe to assume that it'll take three to six months for all third party products to be compatible with the "new" Sierra, as it's always the case with any macOS / OS X update. And I think it's also safe to assume that a LOT of those updates with cost money.

Tricky(Posted 2016) [#3]
Yeah, well I have two compiler based languages installed now. BlitzMax and Free Pascal, and both often show trouble with OS X updates.

I guess since games written in Love2D don't need to be compiled (since Love2D requires a game to be written in 100% Lua code, other wise script code) that tool does fine :P

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#4]
Downloading now...

taumel(Posted 2016) [#5]
Max had sounds issues before macOS Sierra already.

"This application, or a library it uses, is using the deprecated Carbon Component Manager for hosting Audio Units. Support for this will be removed in a future release. Also, this makes the host incompatible with version 3 audio units. Please transition to the API's in AudioComponent.h."

Man, it's has been a long way from Kernal to macOS Sierra. Nothing spectacular yet, for my private systems i'll wait a little bit longer, i'm more curious about their next OS.

Hmm, my private computers OS history should be like:

C64: Kernal (blue), SPEEDDOS-PLUS (fast), Amiga: Kickstart & Workbench 1.X (wow), AmigaOS 2.X (now useable too), Amiga OS 3.X with MUI & MagicWB (so useable and so nice), NeXT: NeXTStep 3.X (nice but just not AmigaOS), PC: Windows NT4 (ugly but more robust than Microsoft's other OSs), Windows 2k (i liked it), Windows XP (too much candy), Mac: OS X Tiger (cool, little limited but PPC), OS X Snow Leopard (okayish), PC: Windows 7 (best Windows), Mac: OS X Mountain Lion (okayisher), OS X Mavericks (this one was great), OS X El Capitan (good one too).

And quite some more from uni & work.

It's interesting thinking about the milestones of OSs, how they were presented, fit into their time and how they have evolved. There is a video partly showing, at least, the history of Apple's and Microsoft's OSs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Q0XPher3o

Derron(Posted 2016) [#6]
@ Taumel
Maybe you should switch your brl.mod and pub.mod with these from Brucey's maxmod-project:

github.com/maxmods

... he updated some portion months ago to get rid of the "Carbon Component Manager for hosting Audio Units" issue.

bye
Ron

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#7]
According to github, the official blitzmax repos was patched 11 months ago for the audio issue.

taumel(Posted 2016) [#8]
@Derron and skid
It's working when you compile the latest patched version from github but the other 1.51 releases out there, like from this site, don't.

Shouldn't someone rename the thread section to macOS now?

skidracer(Posted 2016) [#9]
My 2009 MacBOOK is now running Sierra and BlitzMax is just fine.

So does one still use a capital M in macOS when it is beginning a sentence or title? It kind of looks odd to me.

taumel(Posted 2016) [#10]
It was OS X and now it's macOS.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#11]
> According to github, the official blitzmax repos was patched 11 months ago for the audio issue.

Sorry, that I missed that ... feel free to backport other enhancements in maxmods (cherry-pick commits) - I am pretty sure, that "maxmods" contains some other bugfixes (see my addition of AppSuspend for Linux or shorter AppExit-Time for alsa-sound - or Brucey's library-updates, ok they might introduce "new bugs" but also remove ancient bugs in the libs).

To save me some time: where is stated, that you should update your "latest version" to a more current repo-state?
Maybe it is good to hmm make this more "prominent", so people are aware of it. (stickies in the OS-specific threads?)
There are still people out there, _not_ using github and am just using the downloadable vanilla blitzmax.

@ Mac
Yes, and I am also calling it "MacOS X" or "Mac OSX" or "OSX" ... the same as I call "Windows XP" "XP" sometimes ... because the second name part is _not_ a number. I also do not call "Windows 7" just "7" ...as it sounds odd to me. Exception is, when talking about various versions of Windows ("I prefer Windows 7 over 10") - but that might be common use.

Ahh, ok, just re-read your phrase: beginning of a sentence: I believe Apple was not able to adjust commonly used grammar rules (Sentences begin with a capital letter).
Hmm, maybe in 75-100 years grammar rules could be bought by big companies or letters are replaced by pictograms as people were no longer able to read and write properly.

bye
Ron

taumel(Posted 2016) [#12]
It's has been OS X since Mountain Lion, before it they called it Mac OS X and due to marketing reasons it's now macOS (iOS, watchOS, tvOS). The X is due to roman numerical X (=10) because it's the successor of the horrible Copland V9 (when Macs used to hang and crash multiple times a day) and Unix.

Tricky(Posted 2016) [#13]
My mac asked me to update to “Sierra” today.
Well my hardware appears compatible according to documentation, so that shouldn’t be the problem.
I only have two open BMax projects now, and I’d hate to have them getting “stuck” because of version conflicts (even though I don’t have to compile the BMax source that much since both projects rely heavily on Lua, but still).

If there are no problems with Sierra and BlitzMax (mostly conflicts because of an update in XCode are to blame), I guess I may start updating.