[SOLVED] El Capitan MaxGUI runtime Issue

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/[SOLVED] El Capitan MaxGUI runtime Issue

Chalky(Posted 2016) [#1]
I have created a MaxGUI app which runs fine from the IDE. It also runs fine if the compiled app is double clicked from within the project folder (i.e. the app window opens and functions normally).

However, if I copy the app to another folder (doesn't matter where - Desktop or wherever) and double click it from there, the app icon appears in the dock but its window never gets displayed (I've even tried adding a ShowGadget to force it to appear), and my only option is force quit. The strange thing is that the app IS running (I change the mouse pointer during initialisation, and this happens every time) - it's just that the window is not being displayed.

Essentially this makes my app useless as it ONLY runs from within the project folder and therefore cannot be deployed anywhere else. All my other MaxGUI apps run fine, so I am completely stumped as to why this one runs properly from only one folder (there are no other files needed).

[Edit]
Ok - now I feel REALLY dumb...

One of the first thing my app does is load settings from an INI file. In the dev folder, this was correctly populated - but in the deployment folder one of the fields was blank. The blank field should have been an internet link from which to download a data file during app initialisation. As it was blank it triggered an error, which my app *should* have handled as it checks the return code from the download operation and displays a Notify dialog displaying an error message - but for some reason this never appeared.

Having corrected the INI file (and properly coded the function which loads it!) the problem has now gone away.

But... why wasn't the Notify dialog ever displayed?