Max 1.51 XCode 7.2 Yosemite Textarea Issue

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Max 1.51 XCode 7.2 Yosemite Textarea Issue

Chalky(Posted 2015) [#1]
I am using BlitzMax 1.51 and XCode 7.2 on OSX Yosemite (10.10.5).

When I create a window with a textarea using this:

and build/run the app, I cannot reposition the cursor within the textarea's text by clicking the mouse - it's as though the mouseclick is being ignored.

When I compiled the app, BlitzMax warned me that:
object file {blah} was built for newer OSX version (10.11) than being linked (10.4)
Is this the cause of my problem - and if so, how can I fix it (the exact same code works fine on Windows XP/7/8.1)?

skidracer(Posted 2015) [#2]
I just tested your code with clean install of 1.51 on Xcode 7.2 on OSX 10.11.1 with no problems reported in compile and no cursor clicking probs.

Are there any other system messages reported while you are trying to use the app?

I would also use Else Delay 5 or While PollEvent as current implementation means I think you are limiting your message pump to 200 a second which is not a lot for high DPI mouse use etc..

Casaber(Posted 2015) [#3]
Using OSX 10.10.5 and BlitzMax 1.50 here, and I can confirm the mouseclick cursor problem, no errors during compiling though.

Casaber(Posted 2015) [#4]
I could give an simple example that DOES work for me mouseclicking, (but gives errors though).
Maybe someone can pick up on it as a clue to what is needed to be fixed on Mac.

"2015-12-20 02:06:30.478 working[806:22490] NSSoftLinking - The ShareKit framework's library couldn't be loaded from /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ShareKit.framework/Versions/A/ShareKit."

Import maxgui.drivers
Local win:Tgadget = CreateWindow("Test window",0,0,400,400,Desktop())
Local ta:TGadget = CreateTextArea(0,0,ClientWidth(win)/2,ClientHeight(win)/2,win)
SetGadgetLayout ta,EDGE_ALIGNED,EDGE_ALIGNED,EDGE_ALIGNED,EDGE_ALIGNED
Repeat
	WaitEvent
	Select EventID()
		Case EVENT_WINDOWCLOSE,EVENT_APPTERMINATE
			End
	EndSelect
Forever

Chalky(Posted 2015) [#5]
@nitro - No other system messages reported. Apart from the 'mouse-clicks in the textarea' issue everything else behaves as expected. I expect the fact that there are no problems on your setup is due to you having 10.11.x - which is what BMax warns me about during compilation when I compile it on 10.10.5. Interestingly, if I copy my compiled 10.10.5 app to a MacBook with an earlier version of OSX, it runs fine.

@Casaber - what version of XCode are you using? BMax 1.51 had some fixes for XCode 7.x - maybe if I rolled back BMax to 1.50 and XCode to an earlier version (how would I even do that?) it might fix the issue?

Unfortunately, without some sort of a clue as to what might be causing the problem I cannot do much as I have no understanding whatsoever as to what goes on inside OSX/XCode etc.

Casaber(Posted 2015) [#6]

what version of XCode are you using? BMax 1.51 had some fixes for XCode 7.x - maybe if I rolled back BMax to 1.50 and XCode to an earlier version (how would I even do that?) it might fix the issue?

I´ve got Xcode 7.0.1 installed.

Where did you get Bmax 1.51? Is that the opensource version?
I downloaded the latest one from site for free and it was and still is Bmax 1.50.
I'm not very keen to compile and roll my own executable, I'm still all new to BlitMax.

Casaber(Posted 2015) [#7]

what version of XCode are you using? BMax 1.51 had some fixes for XCode 7.x - maybe if I rolled back BMax to 1.50 and XCode to an earlier version (how would I even do that?) it might fix the issue?

I´ve got Xcode 7.0.1 installed.

Where did you get Bmax 1.51? Is that the opensource version?
I downloaded the latest one from this site for free and it was (and still is) Bmax 1.50.
I'm not very keen to compile and roll my own executable, I'm still all new to BlitMax.

Casaber(Posted 2015) [#8]
I double checked now and MacOS seem to have Version 1.51 (Windows are still 1.50 though), giving the Mac 1.51 a go. Hope this will work.

Casaber(Posted 2015) [#9]
Nope BlitzMax 1.51 gives the exact same result as before, nothing has changed.
It has the same cursor problem and still without any error message on yours, and working cursor with still the same error message on mine.

I must have used version 1.51 all along and simply got confused by the about box.
It clearly says 1.50. (It still does).

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#10]
Interestingly I get the ShareKit message and a link version warning with my official BlitzMax, although I have no issue with textareas. (on 10.11 and latest Xcode)

Notably, my NG builds exhibit none of the above - so presumably there's something bmk is doing differently during linking.

skidracer(Posted 2015) [#11]
I spent a day on the sharekit issue and didn't get very far.

There was a hideous release of MacOS that integrated social networking into MacOS that I hope has been removed and this is one of the missing components, I think it is the name of the facebook sharing API.

Dragging and selecting text was how I could reliably reproduce a stream of sharekit warnings so I expect this is related.

Oh, MaxIDE is still not included in BlitzMax151 distribution. Nevermind.

OK, unable to get warnings with Casabers code but CreateTextArea example code still outputs following stream of complaints when I click and drag on the text.

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#12]
Okay, I did some more testing...

... the Sharekit thing seems to be a 32-bit issue. When testing CreateTextArea on NG in 64-bit there were no messages. However, when recompiled for 32-bit the Sharekit messages appeared when clicking and dragging on the text area.

According to this post ( https://forum.xojo.com/25365-console-messages-about-sharekit/0 ) ShareKit is now 64-bit only, which could explain the issue.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#13]
I found that 1.46 was the last good build on yosemite.
1.50 on el capitan is not working well here at all.
If I could go back to yosemite and 1.46 I would

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#14]
I've got no issues with El Capitan. It appears to be working as well as previous versions with BlitzMax. The warnings are just warnings, and don't affect the running of my applications.