Unable to create applicaton directory

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Unable to create applicaton directory

Bill246(Posted 2014) [#1]
I recently upgraded to OS X Mavericks and installed the newest version of BlitzMax. The applications I made in BlitzMax work fine, but when I try to run a sample app which came with BlitzMax, like Tempest, I get an error saying "Unable to create application directory." Do I need to give Blitz permission to create directories now with Mavericks?

Thanks

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#2]
Never used mavericks, but IIRC it sandboxes all apps by default unless you explicitly permit it to write elsewhere?

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#3]
It may depend where you installed BlitzMax.
The system *may not* allow a program to modify the contents of /Applications, although I have not tested this myself.
Since BlitzMax itself is not sandboxed, then it is going to try to write to the "real" folders it requests, rather than the virtual folders that a sandboxed application would be using instead.

I assume you haven't tried a Module rebuild? As if there is a problem with the samples, you'd likely have a complete failure of building the modules too.

My own BlitzMax folder is a symlink in /Applications pointing to a drive elsewhere, which appears to avoid the problem of permissions.

One solution may be to keep your BlitzMax folder within your Home/User folder somewhere.