Messed up hibernation mode. How do I get rid of it

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/Messed up hibernation mode. How do I get rid of it

Tricky(Posted 2014) [#1]
We all know the "Sleep" mode on Mac.
As a matter of fact, up until now I have ALWAYS used it without ANY trouble at all.
On my new Mac Mini, this sleep mode seems to have become a "hibernate" mode (as Linux calls it). In stead of sleeping it will power off itself completely, and as soon as you restart the computer all programs should reload automatically.

Well it doesn't work that way. This is either bugged or a serious underperformance from Apple's side. Most programs reload, but none of the data is intact UNLESS I saved before. I currently use an Eclipse clone to manage the Lua scripts of my current project and as my project is stored on an USB device that has to be remounted and that takes time, Eclipse will go crazy. Firefox will reload, but say that the previous run (that was going on when MacMini decided to turn itself off) has crashed. And so on....

And I simply want my old sleep mode back that didn't have all this trouble. I've taken a look into the energy savings settings but nothing is there about this new sleeping mode.

I already ran Mountain Lion (which I am running now too) on my older iMac where I never had this shit.
Up until now I didn't notice any loss of data, but I fear that's only a matter of time (as I might forget to hit the save button someday and the computer won't ask "Do you want to save?" in this situation as it would do at a normal shutdown.

Do you know what I can do about this? Or is this simply the end of the sleep mode for me and that I can better shut down the thing completely every night so I am at least sure my data won't be harmed?