iTunes IAP?

Archives Forums/MacOS X Discussion/iTunes IAP?

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#1]
Have anyone here dabbled with adding In App purchases on their MacOS games?

I've seen the Apple guide on it - and it's really seems a lot of trouble...

Do you really need new certificates just to add IAP into the game? (Or having any certificate already will do?)

Is there any good alternative (specially multi-platform, even better if it also could be integrated into Monkey) for this?

And as a last question... have anyone coded something like this? Care to share some points?

ima747(Posted 2013) [#2]
Haven't done it on Mac but have done it on iOS, my understanding is that they're roughly similar, though I think mac has, as you mentioned, more certificate hoops to jump through (iOS there are no certs for IAP, only for push notifications).

A few points from the iOS side:
* It's more complicated than it needs to be for simple things, but once you get your head around the whole system it makes sense... I would have done it more simply myself, but it isn't as insane in the end as it seems in the beginning (it does seem stupid complicated when you start)
* I'm sure there are a number of both IAP mangers on git hub as well as IAP implementation guides for mac if you google enough. I found that by skimming an IAP guide for iOS I got the basics in place, then it was just tacking little bits on until it worked right. Took me about a day to go from looking at apple's "documentation" (really just an outline of the concepts) to functioning implementation by just poking at a guide. Annoying, but not amazingly hard. It's all either it works or it doesn't type stuff.
* If you implement IAP outside of Apple's I would expect they wouldn't approve it for the store. I'm not positive on Mac, but I know that's 100% not allowed on iOS and the rules are similar (though the Mac store is a bit more permissive due to the expanded nature of the platform over mobile). So while that might save you a lot of development time in theory, you will lose a huge chunk of mac market potential. You can always strip that out for a mac store only build, and if you're going multiplatform it would probably be a good idea to have that easily blocked out anyway. For optimal reach you could implement a 3rd party IAP manager for other platforms and mac sales *not* through the app store, then implement the app store IAP for that specific build, a lot of companies do this sort of thing (see Steam version of games vs. Mac App Store version)

SLotman(Posted 2013) [#3]
Thanks ima747... so it is as I feared, there must be an IAP implementation for every app store out there :(

ima747(Posted 2013) [#4]
yep. each store is going to have their own way of doing things, there isn't a standard. it could be abstracted a bit with some middleware, but you'll always hit limits so I personally just say screw it, dive in and get it over with. It's not as hard as it seems, just harder than it needs to be :0)