.deb file creating

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/.deb file creating

Tricky(Posted 2013) [#1]
Well, I tried to do some research on the .deb files, after all most linux users expect me to distribute the linux versions of my productions this way (well at least debian based distro users).

It was a bit hard to sort things out as a clear documentation does not appear to exist (or my google searches led me astray), but I did find out a lot and in the end a .deb file came to be of my newest game (which is currently still in beta) "Scyndi's Forest Quest" (http://sfq.sourceforge.net).

Of course, now to try out if my hard work actually paid off and here things appeared to have gone a bit odd.

And now I wonder where the 'evil' lies.

I used Linux Mint for this inside a Virtual Box Machine with MacOS Mountain Lion as host OS. So my wondering is if it's the Virtual Machine what went wrong or if it's actually the file itself.

I double-clicked the .deb file I created and the package installer starts up, it takes awhile to read the file (it's a pretty big game, y'know) but then it recognizes the game, it also gives the description I put into the control file, so I suppose that deal works all the way. Next I clicked the 'Install Button', I get asked for my superuser password, and so far so good.

And then I get the error "You tried to install a packaged that doesn't exist", and now I'm ultimately surprised as that's a pretty crazy error.

I placed the .deb file into a temporary folder (it was too big to store otherwise) on my project page.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sfq/files/deb%20research/

If you can find out why this error pops up, I'd be grateful, and if it's just my VM that causes the trouble here, I'd also like to know, as I know then that I can put up this file along with my other releases.

(Note, the file was uploading while I was typing this message, so when you don't see the deb file for download, try it again a little later and then it should appear).

keeplit(Posted 2013) [#2]
I had a go.

dpkg -i ScyndisForestQuest_BetaVersion_i386.deb:

dpkg-deb: error: archive has no newlines in header
dpkg: error processing ScyndisForestQuest_BetaVersion_i386.deb (--install): subprocess dpkg-deb --control returned error exit status 2
Errors were encountered while processing: ScyndisForestQuest_BetaVersion_i386.deb

dpkg -x ScyndisForestQuest_BetaVersion_i386.deb:

dpkg-deb: error: archive has no newlines in header

Tricky(Posted 2013) [#3]
Ok, that makes it clear that it was not my VM that does the evil there (not that I expected that, but now I can be sure to eliminate that option).

The errors you posted there are still pretty vague to me and I wonder how to fix this. I also wonder if the error refers to the the .deb file itself or to one of the .tar.gz files stored inside. I'll try to investigate this.

EDIT:
I solved the strange error message. The debian-binaries file should contain the c-string "2.0\n", when "\n" is not present this error pops up. I say it's a pretty amateuristic error on dpkg's part, but ok, that's me, I now know how to deal with it.

I don't have a working .deb yet, but the errors I get now make a lot more sense, so I think I'm getting somewhere. I'll update you on my progress here.

Last edited 2013

Tricky(Posted 2013) [#4]
Done it!

The final version should appear in this file list any minute now.

This file worked within my virtual machine and even the menu items it should create are there and work.

Thank you very much for your time ;)

EDIT!
I thought it did. DPKG installs the game perfectly now, but the GUI software installer still moans that the program does not exist. Any clues?

Last edited 2013