FLTK smooth fonts in beta MaxIDE 1.43

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/FLTK smooth fonts in beta MaxIDE 1.43

skidracer(Posted 2012) [#1]
There is release and debug binaries of fltk-maxide-143 available here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/maxgui/files

If you have issues with MaxIDE under Linux please help test this version.

More info somewhere here:

http://nitrologic.blogspot.co.nz/

Derron(Posted 2012) [#2]

9:58 GLFW monkey firepaint working fine with few complaints
OpenGL Warning: Failed to connect to host. Make sure 3D acceleration is enabled for this VM.
AL lib: pulseaudio.c:331: PulseAudio returned minreq > tlength/2; expect break up

For BlitzMax I needed to declare the graphics driver explit to OpenGL - else the demos wont run although "experimental 3d acceleration" was enabled.
- The error were not "OpenGL Warning..." but things about contexts etc.
For your problem (+ the slowlyness): disable composition and change to lighter desktops (xfce4, lxde) - they do not require 3D-accel which is not the best in virtualbox and other emulators.

11:38 rebuild all modules and some caustic beats on the android later...

11:34 uploaded http://sourceforge.net/projects/maxgui/files/fltk-maxide-143.tar.gz/download

Time warp *sing*. I prefer testing BEFORE uploading :p. But yes, I know that all those time codes came out of "that must have been around 11o clock"-thoughts ... know people getting paid for imagined worklogs hehe.

PS: where to download that "monkeyPro67b.zip" (only found 1 google hit - yours).. bad joke.

Thanks for your commit (although I honestly only use maxide when debugging).

bye
Ron

Last edited 2012

Grisu(Posted 2012) [#3]
Still the same issues under Linux for me (OS: VirtualBox + Ubuntu 12.10 (32-Bit).
The IDE crashes when I type in new code or try to scroll down.

Btw: Here are the error messages I get when compiling OpenGL code (3D acceleration is enabled).

Brucey(Posted 2012) [#4]
Of note, the IDE doesn't seem to like non-ANSI characters. Well, I had some cyrillic (UTF-8) in one test and the IDE would crash whenever I tried to open the .bmx file.

Derron(Posted 2012) [#5]
Grisu ... enabled 3d accelerated driver (needs safe mode boot to install) ?

Additionally I needed to set explizitely:
SetGraphicsDriver GLMax2DDriver()

else it crashed while running (the app, not the ide).

-> I run Windows XP in VirtualBox, host is Linux - so that may differ.
In that case: disable compiz etc as they utilize 3d accell it self.
--> replace it with xfce4-desktop (or parallel-install and choose on login).

bye
Ron

edit: added questionmark :D

Last edited 2012

skidracer(Posted 2012) [#6]
Grisu, any chance you could try the debug version of MaxIDE143? If so, copy it to your BlitzMax folder and run it from command line to view any error information generated during your crash.

Feel free to send me a source file so I can check it crashes on my setup also.

Brucey(Posted 2012) [#7]
Hmm, where's the latest MaxIDE source?

Grisu(Posted 2012) [#8]
@Skid:
Sure, there you go...

@grisu-VirtualBox:~/BlitzMax$ ./ide
ide: /home/simon/BlitzMax/mod/maxgui.mod/fltkmaxgui.mod/src/Fl_Text_Buffer.cxx:1608: int Fl_Text_Buffer::next_char(int) const: Assertion `fl_utf8len(this->byte_at((pos)))>0' failed.
Abgebrochen (Speicherabzug geschrieben)

I think the issue is related to non-ascii chars inside my source code.

Brucey(Posted 2012) [#9]
I get the same error with my (cegui/fontdemo) source too...
maxide.debug: /home/brucey/programming/BlitzMax/mod/maxgui.mod/fltkmaxgui.mod/src/Fl_Text_Buffer.cxx:1608: int Fl_Text_Buffer::next_char(int) const: Assertion `fl_utf8len(this->byte_at((pos)))>0' failed.
Aborted (core dumped)

which is maxide140, the only source I could see to download.

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#10]
@skid: Are you ever going to release a Gtk version of the official maxide?

Brucey(Posted 2012) [#11]
I'm sure once I get my GTKMaxGUI module working again, you'll simply be able to recompile the IDE against it.

Now that I know how to "talk" to new Max Linux event generation (thanks QtMax!), it shouldn't be too much work to get everything updated. Maybe.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#12]
@Brucey: Looking forward to it! :D

skidracer(Posted 2012) [#13]
Source for MaxIDE is here

http://maxgui.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/maxgui/maxide/maxide.bmx?view=log

Grisu(Posted 2012) [#14]
This is SPARTA. Or just UTF8. :/

I think, I found a workaround for my IDE issues under Linux . I need to open each source file of my project by hand and save it as UTF8-Linux! file. UTF8-Windows isn't enough! The IDE works fine after that so far.

Keep in mind that reusing the same code under Windows again will break present strings inside. So the IDE itself under Windows will work, but strings displayed are "broken".

There has to be an easier way to get around this.

Brucey(Posted 2012) [#15]
UTF-8 is UTF-8.
There is no Windows/Linux/etc difference, apart from line-endings, which is not relevant.

If you are having problems, it's not really in UTF-8.

Derron(Posted 2012) [#16]
Brucey: sometimes you have to write a "Unicode BOM" to make it work (see geany - document - write unicode bom) ...

What Grisu said is happening here too:
I develop on linux... as soon as I have a string used containing umlauts it wont work as expected. I saved them as unicode-bom-utf8-encoded.
If I then synchronized the svn on my windows-test-dev-machines, my virtualbox - or gave them to my lua expert :D... we run into problems of broken umlaut-characters.

How to circumvent: All my language texts are saved in normal XML or Textfiles. They are saved normally (so default: utf8 without bom). They work as expected.

So what does that mean: Textstream-UTF8-Handling is working but something on compilation make it break for source-files.

If you are not sure whether your files are simple ISO 8859-1 (LATIN 1) use different characters than the well known ÄÜÖß and accented characters á è etc. - just have a look at some unicode chars.
Maybe something like:
• U+2022 (BULLET)

bye
Ron

skidracer(Posted 2012) [#17]
Brucey sent me some unicode source that crashed FLTK-MaxIDE off the bat, I have uploaded 143B binaries to the link above and updated the MaxGUI skid branch with fixes.

Now that I have begun finishing off the UTF8 support in FLTK MaxGUI it should be relatively straightforward if enough hands can help with testing to complete the task.

I would also like to tweak vertical spacing in FLTK, especially between code lines.

Last edited 2012

Brucey(Posted 2012) [#18]
Line numbers too would be nice while you're at it Skid. Thanks! :-)

Brucey(Posted 2012) [#19]
It's much more happy with my source now Skid, thanks !

I agree about the vertical spacing. Dejavu sans mono is hard on the eyes, but FreeMono looks fine (except anti-aliasing makes it harder to read it)

Last edited 2012

Brucey(Posted 2012) [#20]
Oops…
maxide.debug: /home/simon/BlitzMax/mod/maxgui.mod/fltkmaxgui.mod/src/Fl_Text_Buffer.cxx:309: void Fl_Text_Buffer::replace(int, int, const char*): Assertion `fl_utf8len(*(text))>0' failed.

Self destructed whilst I was fiddling with IDE colour/font settings. It was about the 10th time hitting OK in the options to see what everything looked like when it core dumped. (except no core file, unfortunately).

skidracer(Posted 2012) [#21]
U+2714 ✔ heavy check mark

Hmph, I thought this site supported unicode posting.

Last edited 2012

Derron(Posted 2013) [#22]
Glad you are working on it...

maybe I should start a thread about missing output in case of errors during module compilation in the ide.
Compiling from terminal outputs correct errors. The Ide just hangs and does not respond anymore (straight before outputting the error).
Think the whole Implementation of the Pipes need some work - when I transformed the maxide-pipe-code to wxmax some (random) lines were missing. Had to rework some parts to get "all" lines.

But this is offtopic and I am not able to produce a test-scenario.

@fonts used:
fltk, gtk have defaults for different "fontstyles" - coding fonts are monospaced so use the default monospaced font. That should then be the one used by all texteditors etc.

bye
Ron