BlitzPlus and Wine

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/BlitzPlus and Wine

ThePict(Posted 2012) [#1]
Tried installing B+ on my Linux laptop. And opening it with Wine, but it won't run. Is this a Direct X problem I wonder, or am I missing something more fundamental?

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#2]
Have you ran wine-config or could your laptop have a OpenGL issue? As every thing works for me.

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
Maybe he isn't running on an intel cpu. I think WINE must run on intel.

Derron(Posted 2012) [#4]
Windows-intel-nano-emulator?

Wth do you think of "wine can only be run on intel" ... sometimes I think about Darwin and his achievements.... aehm if it only would run on intel, windows would do so too... wine is not an emulator.

@ThePict.
Try to run your app from the command line - so wine could output messages (some are useless for the problem, but some may contain "error").

"wine /home/name/YOUR-BP-PATH/name.exe"

bye
Ron

ThePict(Posted 2013) [#5]
Still trying to make it work, but failing.
The Linux I'm using is KDE 'Full Monty' version, and for all that it's very easy (Windows-like) to use it's still a big jump for a Linux Newbie like me.
I can't even seem to access the C: drive in the console.
I was reasonably good with DOS back in the day, but Linux seems to be a bit too 'different' for me to get to grips with.

I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually, and I'm still very smitten with the OS as it boots in seconds, has all the apps I'll ever need and is free and open-source.

dawlane(Posted 2013) [#6]
@Captain Wicker Soft: A little history lesson.
There was a port of WINE for the PowerPC using QEMU. Plus there are also a few porting projects for other architectures (ARM,SPARC).

@ThePict: Type: wine ".wine/drive_c/Program Files/Internet Explorer/iexplore.exe"
Note: wine stores it data in a hidden file in your home directory. Any file that starts with a period is automatically treated as a hidden file. In the Linux file explorer there should be a setting to see hidden files.
to see all the files while in a terminal in any directory type: ls -a

If the above command doesn't work then wine isn't installed correctly. Try and run the wine configurator with by typing: winecfg
and try again.

There is another way to change to a directory with spaces in it's path with out wrapping the path in quotes. And that is to use a back slash before every space character in the path.

Last edited 2013

Derron(Posted 2013) [#7]
There is no "C:" drive.

the linux "C:" drive is "/"
Your personal "drive" is "/home/yourusername/" (short is: "~/").

If you talk about wine: wine stores its data in:
"~/.wine"
The drive "C" which wine programs could use is located in:
"~/.wine/drive_c"

---
I just downloaded "BlitzPlusSetup147.exe" - opened it with wine, installed and kept the "[x] Run Blitz" checked.
Editor opened as it should.

So for you:
1.) open up a terminal window
2.) copy (select and CTRL+C)

wine ~/.wine/drive_c/BlitzPlus/BlitzPlus.exe

3.) paste it into the terminal window (right click and paste OR CTRL+Shift+V)
3.1) confirm with enter :D
4.) output will tell what is wrong

There are some errors ....but not all will crash your app.

I cannot guarantee to help but you are able to select the lines and CTRL+SHIFT+C (or right click copy) it.
Post the content here.

Alternatively you could pipe the output to a file ... just add " > output.txt" to the command above ... and it will pipe all output lines to the newly created file output.txt.

bye
Ron

ThePict(Posted 2013) [#8]
Thanks Ron, got it going with your method, great help.
Still loving my Linux machine, but succumbed to buying myself a shiny new Windows 7 machine for Christmas.
A Lenovo Q180 which sits on top of my telly, is silent, plays Blu-Ray and is tiny 19 x 15 x 4 cm.