Installing BlitzMax on Ubuntu 12.10 (64-bit)

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Installing BlitzMax on Ubuntu 12.10 (64-bit)

Dinosorceror(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hello everyone! I thought for convenience, I'd create a new post to coordinate previous information posted on the forum regarding earlier versions of Ubuntu, and provided an updated cheat-sheet for getting BlitzMax running on the current latest, Ubuntu 12.10 (the 64-bit version).

Here is the list of commands you must use to get BlitzMax running. Some could be re-arranged, but I've just done a fresh install as listed, and I figured I'd include the ones for the PulseAudio driver separate and last in case someone wanted to modify this cheat sheet for a different audio driver.

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch g++-multilib build-essential

sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa-dev x11proto-core-dev x11proto-gl-dev x11proto-kb-dev libxxf86vm-dev libasound2-dev libfreetype6-dev libxpm-dev libxft-dev

sudo apt-get update

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1.2.0 /usr/lib32/libGL.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGLU.so.1.3.1 /usr/lib32/libGLU.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6.3.0 /usr/lib32/libX11.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so.6.9.0 /usr/lib32/libfreetype.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXxf86vm.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib32/libXxf86vm.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXft.so.2.3.1 /usr/lib32/libXft.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXpm.so.4.11.0 /usr/lib32/libXpm.so
    (Check versions of above files to update links if necessary)

sudo apt-get install libpulse-dev

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libpulse-simple.so.0.0.3 /usr/lib32/libpulse-simple.so
    (Check version again)

Drop in BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/freeaudio.mod/pulseaudiodevice.cpp as following:

Replace BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/freeaudio.mod/freeaudio.bmx with the following, and back up the original:

Finally, run MaxIDE and go to the Program menu and select Rebuild All Modules. This will rebuild the audio module and use the PulseAudio driver.

Last edited 2012

Dinosorceror(Posted 2012) [#2]
By the by, seems that the new Unity launcher doesn't wanna handle the IDE's exe. A quick Google found the following tip for creating a custom application launcher:

Create a custom application launcher

EDIT: It works...sorta. The shortcut created launches a separate icon in the launcher. If you shut down BlitzMax and try to pull it up again, the shortcut the process above creates is still "throbbing" as if it's running. After a few seconds, it will stop, and you can launch it again. If anyone knows of a better way to get the launcher to accept the IDE better, let us all know!

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
Shouldn't you use the ALSA driver? Unless I (doubtedly) am the only one having problems with Pulse and the latest versions of Ubuntu, there is no reason to be using it.

Derron(Posted 2012) [#4]
If you use ALSA you may run into "simultaneous audio playback"-issues.
If you eg. play some music in the background and start your app with sound too, you will recognize what I meant.

Another reason I modified rtAudio to link pulse audio the first (else it uses alsa or oss first).

bye
Ron