Linux Desktops

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Linux Desktops

Richard Betson(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi,

I am not sure I like Gnome 3.4 . Are there any accessory apps to modify it so that I have a taskbar more like the old Gnome?

I am interested in what you might be using for a deskktop in debian 7. Let me know if you have successfully installed an alternative. :)

Thanks

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#2]
Are there any accessory apps to modify it so that I have a taskbar more like the old Gnome?
You will find GNOME classic on the log-on screen in the "system default" drop down box.

Last edited 2012

Richard Betson(Posted 2012) [#3]
OMG, Thanks.

See, this is why it's always best to ask.lol

Htbaa(Posted 2012) [#4]
You could also try Xfce, which has a similar look and feel to Gnome 2. Personally I think Gnome 3 is very nice to work with.

AltanilConard(Posted 2012) [#5]
You could also try MATE, a fork of Gnome 2 that still gets updated. I like Unity myself.

Richard Betson(Posted 2012) [#6]
I like Unity myself.

Really? My whole Ubuntu experience was not great. Unity's OK but it kept freezing up in Ubuntu. I have to say Gnome3 (classic mode) is nice and feels more like home.

Has anyone tried Enlightenment?

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#7]
Unity is awful, trying to like be like OSX but failing on every level and the way Ubuntu is going, I get the feeling that Canonical don't want you to maintain your system by hiding or removing many of the GUI and command tools. I had a look at Ubuntu 12.10 and even the software centre is a mess as it wouldn't let me search for any thing.
Mate is a nice manager and so is cinnamon while Enlightenment is more eye candy.
If someone asked me which Linux distribution they should choose; I would tell them to go for Linux Mint, the one based on Ubuntu as the Debian branch of Mint is basically the testing branch of Debian and can break at any time there's an update.
And if asked what window manager I would say Mate.