GTK (GTKMaxGui, wxMax) compile under 64Bit Ubuntu

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/GTK (GTKMaxGui, wxMax) compile under 64Bit Ubuntu

Derron(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi.

Is there a way to compile and link successfully a BlitzMax-application using gtk-libraries from within a 64bit ubuntu based distribution?

I fixed some small bugs keeping gtkmaxgui from compiling. Changed some things from wxMax-SVN-code to get error free compiling...

...but the end was everytime the same:
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgtk-x11-2.0
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lgdk-x11-2.0

While some of the libs can be resolved with
apt-get install libglib2.0-dev:i386 --no-install-recommends

Most of the developer libraries (libgtk-x11-2.0-dev:i386, ...) are not installable as the would then remove the x86_64-libraries.

I know that other linux distros seem to make it able (fedora etc.) but ubuntu-based distributions have problems with that.

Anyone having ideas how to circumvent this? Please NO virtual machine thingies and no 32bit chroot environment as they are no real solutions.
Maybe something with compiler directives (' Import "-C..." ') ?

PS: ia32, multiarch etc is installed - what is missing are the "library".a-files in the 32bit-ld-paths (only .so-files present, .a-files in the x86_64 are there - that is why I can compile normal wxWidget-demos without problems).

PPS: also "use qt like TED" is no option - I prefer not installing bunch of libs for one app - and also "fltk" is no option as it is way of the themeability of gtk.

Thanks in advance,
Ron

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#2]
working fine here under ubuntu 12.04 32bit version via VMware Player.
Did you
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs
sudo apt-get install gcc-multilib g++-multilib libxxf86vm-dev libglu1-mesa-dev libxft-dev
sudo apt-get install x11proto-xext-dev
sudo apt-get update

?

Last edited 2012

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#3]
working fine here under ubuntu 12.04 32bit version via VMware Player.
I take it you have posted to the wrong thread as clearly Derron's not interested in using a 32bit distribution of Ubuntu or using a virtual machine.

@Derron: The only way I can think you will get 32bit static libs instead of the dynamic so libs is to build them directly from source by passing the correct parameters in ./configure. And rather than using apt-get to install the packages I would find the necessary i386 packages download and use deb to install.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#4]
Derron, Have you tried this
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev

or
sudo apt-get install gnome-core-devel build-essential libgtk2.0-dev libgtk2.0-doc devhelp

?
This solved my problem on Xubuntu 12.04 x64

Derron(Posted 2012) [#5]
@cws

i wrote:

PS: ia32, multiarch etc is installed - what is missing are the "library".a-files in the 32bit-ld-paths (only .so-files present, .a-files in the x86_64 are there - that is why I can compile normal wxWidget-demos without problems).

-> yes i installed all libraries needed for devolopement of gtk apps.
-> i can compile wxwidgets demo apps (gcc 64 bit c++ code)

Problem is: running 64 bit ubuntu and wanting to compile wxMax with Blitzmax (32 bit).
... at the moment I even cannot compile MaxGui (different error, missing symbols... think i misconfigured something) ... but running compilations from a 32bit linux are working as they should.

@dawlane
I thought so too... downloading all DEBs to get the files, and
import "-Lfiledirectory" them later... but it is a hassle of getting the complete dependency list.
Also there is no "./configure" for blitzmax - only the method of "-L/-l" importing.
Hmm seems my hope for an ready-to-use-.sh are not to get responded to :p.
Thanks for your advice will try to use it if I find some spare time.

bye
Ron

edit: typos

Last edited 2012