Trying to get BlitzMax working with Ubuntu 12.04

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Trying to get BlitzMax working with Ubuntu 12.04

Noble(Posted 2012) [#1]
I am trying to get BlitzMax to work on my Ubuntu Linux 12.04 box. This is what happens when I compile a demo:

First off, this are my versions (as reported by BlitzMax):
MaxIDE 1.42
BCC 1.48
Path - /home/noble/Downloads/BlitsMax
FASM - 1.68
GCC - 4.6
G++ - 4.6

This is what happens when I try and compile a sample:

Building oldskool2
Compiling:oldskool2.bmx
flat assembler version 1.68 (32768 kilobytes memory)
3 passes, 642516 bytes.
Linking:oldskool2.debug
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lfreetype
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGLU
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXxf86vm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lXxf86vm
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lGL
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
Build Error: Failed to link /home/noble/Downloads/BlitzMax/samples/flameduck/oldskool2/oldskool2.debug
Process complete

What am I missing to get the linking to work?

TIA
Noble

Scaremonger(Posted 2012) [#2]
I've not got a working Ubuntu laptop at the moment (Dont ask!)... But these are the notes I took when I got it working myself:

sudo apt-get install gcc libxxf86vm-dev libglu1-mesa-dev build-essential libxft-dev

For WxMax and possiblie GTK+ on Linux, you will probably need:
sudo apt-get install libgtk2.0-dev
sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-pixbuf
sudo apt-get install libtiff-dev

Hope they help :)

Devlin(Posted 2012) [#3]
I would highly recommend taking a look at This thread, it has a helpful script to install all the packages you'll require for most uses of BlitzMax on Linux - On another note, you may wish to install "libopenal1" and "libopenal-dev"..

Last edited 2012

zcbeaton(Posted 2012) [#4]
Actually, this is the thread you're after. I was in the exact same position as you with the "cannot find" problems, and the solution was the symbolic links that needed to be made. Handily, the thread I linked there has everything you need to type into the Terminal to get BlitzMAX up and running.

You may need to adjust the filenames slightly if you're using newer versions of the libraries, though. For instance, I had to change "libGLU.so.1.3.08000" to "libGLU.so.1.3.08004".