BlitzMax on AMD 64 processor?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/BlitzMax on AMD 64 processor?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
is there a way to make blitzmax work on an amd 64 bit processor? I try and launch the ide but it doesn't want to open up at all.

Here are the specs for the current running system:

CPU: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+
RAM: 869.3 MiB
GPU: GeForce 6100/PCI/SSE2

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#2]
You install it as you would do Ubuntu 12.04 ( look for the post ) and it's virtually the same for any other debian base Linux.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
i followed the instructions on this post
What to do if the ide still does not load? Install something else?
EDIT: reboot fixed it :)

Last edited 2012

Richard Betson(Posted 2012) [#4]
No luck so far here. :(

I have the same problem, editor will not launch. Using the above link the first terminal command is no longer an available package (sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch g++-multilib build-essential).

I am using the debian distrobution.

what to do? mmm.

Richard Betson(Posted 2012) [#5]
Using:
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

gets the IDE to run but compiling firepaint gives these errors:

Last edited 2012

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#6]
I would ask around one of the debian forums about multiarch support as what information I have seen is very confusing. It's hard to see if they have made the transition yet and it may/could still be in the test branch of debian.

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#7]
Does this work for you?

Richard Betson(Posted 2012) [#8]
I decided to just install the i386 version of debian for now. I'll give the 64bit version ago a bit later when I have some time.:) Max is compliing now but no sound.

BTW, how do I run that script? just paste it in terminal?

Last edited 2012

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#9]
BTW, how do I run that script? just paste it in terminal?
You copy and paste it to a text editor, save it as "whatever.sh" and then using a terminal change to the script's location and type either ./whatever.sh or sh whatever.sh.
But I wouldn't bother as that script is old and needs updating.

Richard Betson(Posted 2012) [#10]
Hi,

I have a sound issue and thought it might help, but if I can't figure it out I'll create a topic.

I would add though that we might see a bump in Linux interest here as the OS seen is changing for the worst in my opinion.

Thanks,

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#11]
If you can play sound in the OS then the issue is down to BlitzMax's Linux audio driver. There is already a topic relating to this as the default driver which is OSS and no longer functions correctly. You have a choice of two drivers. There's the ALSA driver update or the PULSE audio driver.

Last edited 2012

Richard Betson(Posted 2012) [#12]
Yup, sound ok in Linux and it is a BlitzMax issue. I'll check out the links.

Thanks,

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#13]
@Richard Betson: If your interested I got BlitzMax working with Debian Wheeze (64bit). It should be possible to do the same with Squeeze, but you would have to build dpkg using the latest source code.
Currently Wheeze has been frozen and could soon be upgraded to the stable branch.

Last edited 2012

Richard Betson(Posted 2012) [#14]
Right on,

I was just messaging another about him getting MAX working on his 64bit distro. I may take another crack at this. Can I keep debian i386 on the partition its at and install the AMD64 debian on another partition and still keep Windows 7? I'm a little cautious as last my last install of debian failed to list Windows 7 in GRUB. Fixed it but for a Linux newbie a little scarry. :)

Last edited 2012

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#15]
You can install as many OS as you like but defining your partitions as primary would mean you can only use 4 on that hard drive; using logical should have no restrictions apart from size. But you will have to use a tool like parted to resize your partitions before hand.

Before messing around with any partitions you should make sure that you can recover your windows installation with the recovery DVD/CD's. If you machine has a recovery partition installing GRUB will stop you from recovering your Windows install by using that method. So if not already you should use the application that comes with the computer to make the recovery disks.

If on the other hand you have a retail or OEM Windows 7 install DVD and your motherboard drivers it's not such a big issue, but you should be familiar with how to restore the boot sector using the Windows 7 recovery tools. The only thing to remember is to back up any important data first.

I would like to point out that installing BlitzMax on Wheeze is somewhat different than what it is for Ubuntu/Mint and requires a little more work.

Richard Betson(Posted 2012) [#16]
I'm thinking I should save up a couple hundred bucks and get a used system and experiment with it as a Linux box. That way if I mess it all up it's no big deal to start over, and I can use it as a server.

I can certainly go with Ubuntu/Mint, debian was my choice because it is supposed to be pretty solid.

I will try to pick up a dual-core system next month and give this all a try. Hope your around. :)

Thanks,

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#17]
You could try using VMware Player or VirtualBox to experiment with. It's how I test things rather than mess up my system.

Last edited 2012

Richard Betson(Posted 2012) [#18]
Hi,

I would but I really need to see what performance I get on a strait, non-VM setup. I have set my entry level system specs to play Phoenix (my SubSpace project) to a duel-core system with a entry level video card. Much like the system spec's in my sig.

So while a VM works it is slow and really does not give me the feedback I need as to performance both on the client and the server. I have built in headroom so even single core systems can run things fine but the only way to know my apps ultimate performance is to have a non-VM setup.

I have an i386 Linux install up and running on a partition with the the Nvidia driver installed and it's working well. I want to setup an AMD64 install to test with and maybe dev in. Also there is porting to consider, as Monkey will at some point be Linux compatible. My experience using VM's or emulators to run Android apps was not good as I never knew how the game would perform on a real Android system. Having an actual Android dive would help.

So that were I'm coming from. :)

Thanks,

Richard Betson(Posted 2012) [#19]
@dawlane

Hi,

I have Wheeze freshly installed and I'm ready to get BlitzMax going. :D

Edit - I've done "sudo apt-get install ia32-libs" so the BlitzIDE runs.

Last edited 2012

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#20]
There was no need too install ia32-libs. I'll post a tutorial on how to get it working.

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#21]
Tutorial up and running for debian Wheeze here