Xen or other virtualizer w/ Win2K SP4

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Xen or other virtualizer w/ Win2K SP4

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-virtualization-software.html
Which is best for running Win2K SP4? How can I use Xen or other?
Hardware acceleration and virtualization is very important.
My specs:
Xubuntu 11.10
5.8 GiB RAM
Intel® Core™ i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz × 4
Intel® Sandybridge Mobile x86/MMX/SSE2 Graphics

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#2]
That post is three years old. That makes it three years out of date - every time a new VM version comes out, it totally shakes up the market. To decide between virtualization solutions, your only real solution is to try them out and see for yourself which one works best, or to stick with the one whose interface and use patterns suit you best. Most people go for VMware or VirtualBox. The better VMware solutions are not free, however.

As for hardware acceleration and virtualization - firstly, they have little to do with each other. All the serious candidates support hardware virtualization out-of-the-box, although if you have an older computer it may not. In contrast, hardware acceleration is not considered a development priority by most vendors: very few solutions support this properly and in general, you do not need it (VMs are not developed for playing games, get over it and don't bother trying).

Finally, which is best for Windows 2K doesn't matter because Windows 2K has reached end-of-life. We have already lectured you about this at length. Please use an up-to-date OS! Nobody responsible will help you set up Windows 2K, as you would be damaging your local network ecosystem by running it.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
All I need is something that can run fairly fast, allow me to use MS Word 2003, Powerpoint 2003, Excel 2003, and a few other things. The only problem I have with the VirtualBox is that Win2K will not run for me without restarting the setup process. It works for me in my parallels in OSX so I know the disc is good. Is there anything similar to virtual box that may run Windows 2000 with service pack 4? Also, I dont want to get online with it. I failed to mention that so sorry!

Last edited 2012

slenkar(Posted 2012) [#4]
why do you need to use those exact programs?
Free office software allows you to save and load microsoft file formats.

Have you tried Wine?

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#5]
why do you need to use those exact programs?

school standard
Have you tried Wine?

Trying CrossOver and PlayOnLinux now. :)

Got it working with the CrossOver Linux. Thank you! :)

See! :D

Last edited 2012

Derron(Posted 2012) [#6]
virtualization ...
use something like VirtualBox as it allows hw acc of the graphicscard... means you can run your development in there.
And it allows "freezing the os state" - to continue days later at the exact same spot.

CrossOver ... should cost money, use wine as it is able to run office too (may be needing the usage of winetricks)

bye
Ron

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#7]
For your specific problem, it sounds like it would be a better option to do your work in LibreOffice, then verify that the exported MS files are good on another computer a couple of days before handing in. A school shouldn't be teaching that MS file formats are in any way "standard".

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#8]
shouldn't be teaching that MS file formats are in any way "standard".

True :)
do your work in LibreOffice

I was until they said that I had to use MS Office only. :(
use wine as it is able to run office too

missing various fonts.
CrossOver ... should cost money,

And is overpriced for something based on an open source application aka WINE.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#9]
sudo apt-get install wine

$> wine path/to/office/setup.exe

No virtualizer needed.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#10]
they said that I had to use MS Office only

How is that any of their ****** business?

missing various fonts.

That's because fonts are part of Windows, not part of Office. Go to your nearest Windows install and copy 'em out of the Windows Fonts folder. Presumably Wine also has a fonts folder, to mirror the way Windows works.

Wine won't distribute fonts as part of the package because of course it doesn't have a licence to the fonts. You have a more or less automatic licence to use (but not distribute-in-usable-format) fonts that comes with your Windows licence. Copying the files to a Linux machine is therefore questionable, doubly so if you don't have a Windows machine yourself any more.

On the other hand, seriously nobody cares.

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#11]
That's because fonts are part of Windows, not part of Office. Go to your nearest Windows install and copy 'em out of the Windows Fonts folder. Presumably Wine also has a fonts folder, to mirror the way Windows works.

Wonder what would happen if i copied my windows installation into the WINE's C: drive. Would things work better or what would happen?
How is that any of their ****** business?

the school systems say that unless you are running ms word that they cannot read your saved files from openoffice or libreoffice etc. It is ridiculous but is how the world has evolved into such a monstrosity. Like they can really tell what program me or anybody else are using to save files with! ? :P
so if you don't have a Windows machine yourself any more.

I have been using VMs via Parallels v7 on my iMac. I do have a laptop that has been attacked by malware several times running Vista but I try to do as little work on it as possible and have to scan every single file on there before I place it somewhere else. It is really quite troublesome.

Last edited 2012

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#12]
It would most likely not work at all. Wine isn't Windows, and there is no guarantee that anything works in an even remotely similar way under the shallow layer that presents a Windows-like interface. At best it would be a lot of files it doesn't need, and at worst it would overwrite files it does need.

Derron(Posted 2012) [#13]
After a short googling:
Get Office 2007 fonts in Linux Tutorial

There are many sites offering the same way for copying your windows-font-files to linux (google for it).

@must use ms office
Even we at a technical university have to limit our software ... I do not own ms office (msdnaa doesnt include office :D) but presentations have to get held with PowerPoint *ieks*.
Did take some time to convince the different lectors to accept PDF-presentations (I don't use fancy animations, do most things within graphics program of choice).

Same problem faces students with apple macs... only vial option for using the mac-presentation-software is to "plug off lectors notebook and hope the projectors accept the mac".

In cases I have to hand in documents I did the following:
- saved as .odt (open/libreoffice format)
- exported as .pdf
- exported as .doc (2000/xp mode)
handed in all 3 formats: my original one - so they can edit it if they own the _free_ software, the pdf to look at if if they don't own it and the export may look not 100% (how should they know :D) - and finally the .doc to satisfy their needs.

If they do not offer you computers at "school" with the software they require you to use - you cannot be forced to buy it. If they offer the software they could force you ("then write here in our computers room, or check your export there").

trip to history: ages ago a programming course leader wanted us to write the text in (la)Tex ... learning for finals...

...ok stop rant at my university now :D

@wine installations
use winetricks - as it offers helpful installation assistance for office etc.

@wine visual look
haven't tested office but some GUI-tools did not behave correct (remember some PhotoShop-blames in the wine forum).

Like said use VirtualBox - for not so ressource hefty applications this is more or less the best way to get it working as expected.
Only use that method if you are running on more than a single-core (increases enjoyability :D). You can even use gpu-assist within certain programs like Photoshop.

bye
Ron

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#14]
VirtualBox is a good choice - but under Linux it's a real pain to set up shared folders for it. Go with Wine, get the winetricks script, and do a

./winetricks install corefonts

Then use winetricks to install Office.

Last edited 2012