How to use Shared Libraries. *.so ?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/How to use Shared Libraries. *.so ?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi,

I do not know how to use 'shared libraries' .so files in Ubuntu linux. I am trying to compile a source with the Geany IDE, FreeBASIC, and the Irrlicht Wrapper.. Can someone with experience with so files help me please.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#2]
Exactly the same way you would use a DLL on Windows.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
Exactly the same way you would use a DLL on Windows.

Sorry for being so dumb but how do I do that?

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#4]
See here: http://www.freebasic.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=CompilerCmdLine

Short answer being to add "-l whateverIrrlichtIsCalled.so" to your compiler invocation. You should be able to add this to Geany by opening the "Build" menu, choosing "Set build commands", and then inserting it somewhere in "Build". This will link every FreeBasic executable against Irrlicht until you remove it again. The shared library file must be somewhere the compiler will find it, usually either in a system location, the project folder.

I never bothered to learn how Geany's project management works, or if it's possible to do something like IDEal's userlibs editor. Probably not - if you want advanced or custom build commands, you should really use the command line (on Linux you can use the terminal window built into Geany). Geany is cute but it's really a very basic editor, not an IDE.

Geany's compile buttons don't give a lot of power, best limit them to just playing with small test programs.

Does FBide not work on Linux?

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#5]
Does FBide not work on Linux?

i dont think so. does it? :S