Help Getting Blitzmax working in Ubuntu 12.04 x64

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Help Getting Blitzmax working in Ubuntu 12.04 x64

Raven67854(Posted 2012) [#1]
I can't seem to get it working with Ubuntu 12.04 x64. This is the error I keep getting

I already have all of the required libs/dependency's. It was working just fine with Ubuntu 11.10 x64. However I can't seem to get it to work in the latest version. Anybody have any thoughts as to why it's not working?

Last edited 2012

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#2]
With Ubuntu 11+: if you manage to get the compiler working, you will never get the sound working.

Here is your answer: http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=84385

Last edited 2012

Raven67854(Posted 2012) [#3]
@Captain Wicker
Hahaha well I already have all of those library's and dependency's. That's my issue here. And like I said I already had it working in 11.10. I just don't seem to get what broke between 11.10 and 12.04.

The weird thing is I can rebuild all modules without fail I just can't compile anything with blitzmax. I may just have to virtualbox and compile on an x86 Ubuntu.

Htbaa(Posted 2012) [#4]
I've decided to install Ubuntu 12.04 64bit in Virtual Box to try this out. The executable files wouldn't even start. The ldd tool didn't give me anything. So I started to dig into this.

I haven't found all packages names yet, but you at least need to install the following packages: libx11-6:i386 libxxf86vm-dev:i386

You need to install each 32bit library specifically. They can be identified with the :i386 part.

Update: Installing libglu-dev:i386 will also install some other required libraries. Just take a look with ldd MaxIDE to figure out which are still missing and then look them up with aptitude or apt-cache.

Update 2: All modules installed. I can start MaxIDE and compile, but it complains about not finding libstdc++. There are several :i386 versions available, but all of them seem to conflict with the current installation.

Update 3: Although I've got a 32bit libfreetype6-dev installed it says it can't find it. Dunno why though.

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Raven67854(Posted 2012) [#5]
I tried what your doing. However like you I can't seem to get libstdc++ to install. Very difficult setting up Blitzmax on x64 Linux for some reason. :(

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#6]
Hi to all. It's been a while since I last played with Ubuntu and now it's on 12.04, I decide to have a look to see if bmax would work out of the box on a 64bit system. So I will give you my findings. I was goint to do a full tutorial on how to get it up and running but I've had a few other things to do.
There is a new method for having both 32bit and 64bit libraries installed called multiarch (think that this was introduced in the last update of 11.10) so have a look and check out what's in the package ia32-libs-multiacrch and don't for get to install the usual dev-libs and gcc-multilib/g++-multilib.
If you look in your /usr/lib directory you should find two folders, One named i386-linux-gnu here you should find all the 32bit libs needed. The other is named x86_64-linux-gnu and has the exact same libs but for 64bit.
The next bit I would call cheating. To stop any conflicts create a new folder and create and move all the system links to the 32bit libs there not for forgetting to rename those new links by removing every thing to the right of the .so and modify your bmk_utils source code to add the path in the section that does the linking, then compile the bmk file and put it in you BMax bin folder having made a back up of the bmk file thats already there. Or try and move those like into /usr/lib32
Currently I have got modules to compile and the samples to run, the only issue I have left to solve is getting sound to work.

EDIT:Quick setup (no sound yet looks like it could be broken)
sudo apt-get install ia32-libs-multiarch g++-multilib build-essential
sudo apt-get install sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa-dev x11proto-core-dev x11proto-gl-dev x11proto-kb-dev libxxf86vm-dev libasound2-dev libfreetype6-dev libxpm-dev libxft-dev

Sytem links
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1.2 /usr/lib32/libGL.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libGLU.so.1.3.08000 /usr/lib32/libGLU.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6.3.0 /usr/lib32/libX11.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so.6.8.0 /usr/lib32/libfreetype.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXxf86vm.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib32/libXxf86vm.so

For MaxGUI
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXft.so.2.2.0 /usr/lib32/libXft.so
sudo ln -s /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libXpm.so.4.11.0 /usr/lib32/libXpm.so

Full tutorial for 32/64 bit found with sound how to found here

Last edited 2012

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#7]
This has helped me a big deal. Working with Linux Mint now, can confirm that these commands in the last post are working. Programs compile correctly.

// EDIT

While they compile correctly, execution returns a "Segmentation Fault"

Last edited 2012

dawlane(Posted 2012) [#8]
While they compile correctly, execution returns a "Segmentation Fault"
What do you get when you run the app from the terminal?

Edit: installed Linux Mint-MATE 64bit on to virtualbox. Ever thing works ok apart from sound (using the ALSA driver fix) being garbled. I would put this down to it being a virtual machine.

Last edited 2012