Weird fullscreen problem

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Weird fullscreen problem

Russell(Posted 2012) [#1]
Fullscreen programs compile and run fine on Linux Mint 12 (so far, I like it!), but when the program quits, instead of going back to the desktop's resolution, it changes to 1024 x 768. I then have to go back into system settings and change it back to 1600 x 900. Very annoying. Any ideas?

Russell

Derron(Posted 2012) [#2]
Can you post a sample file ?

Seems not a bug of BlitzMax but of your distribution.

What I tried: running samples from BlitzMax in FullScreen. Pressing KEY_ESCAPE made the app quitting, for some milliseconds I saw a 640x480 sized MaxEdit window, resolution changed back to my normal one afterwards.
So normal behaviour here.

Do you use nv/ati drivers or the open source ones?

bye
Ron

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#3]
Won't help but for me it's the inverse situation.
I have a dual monitor and the game sometimes goes to 2xxx X 1280 (don't remember exactly) in "full screen", then if I setup I can go back to 1024x768 window.

My Nvidia drivers are bugged under Linux... Like most drivers anyway.

Derron(Posted 2012) [#4]
That's where to go to : dual monitor.

I found the NV-Driver really good - working as expected, no crashes, Wine Apps running fast.
Now I'm on AMD (LLano - cpu+gpu) and it's working fine here too.

But I never have done dualmonitor setups with linux (except my linux htpc which uses custom modelines to remove overscan on hdmi to my TV box).

So first point: disable dual monitor and test if it changed something
if yes: investigate :D
if not: provide some test code.

What I do remember: In the days of Windows 98 and old games - if the programs crashed or had unexpected exit routes :D - they did not restore the resolution which was set before.... so maybe your Programm does not quit nicely but eg haves a "light crash" (debug messages of c-libraries in output etc.)

bye
Ron

Russell(Posted 2012) [#5]
Strange, but I don't seem to have the problem anymore! Must have been the last update I did.

Kind of on the same note, I've been trying out several different LIVE CD distros (so far, Mandriva 2011 is my favorite) and every single one of them starts out with my laptop monitor brightness set to zero! I have to tap the 'increase brightness' button to see anything. I've not found a setting within the desktop to fix this. It's no big deal, but a bit of a puzzler and mildly annoying.

Russell

Derron(Posted 2012) [#6]
Yeah for Notebooks you will have to do some researches... My current one needed some settings overwritten so gain 1hour of battery life, darkening the screen more than allowed, disable wlan/bluetooth by key etc.

Notebooks are the devices with the most varying set of elements.

As long as the next update keeps it working it's ok :p.

bye
Ron