Raspberry Pi

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Raspberry Pi

rubikWizard(Posted 2012) [#1]
With the release of the Raspberry Pi is there any chance of a version of Blitz for this computer?

Nigel Brown(Posted 2012) [#2]
At the top of my wishlist.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
I would think that since it is Linux based it should already be able to run BlitzMax.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#4]
BlitzMax only compiles for x86 and PowerPC. It could be done, definitely; question is whether it will. Recompiling raw BlitzMax code for ARM might be possible with a binary translation system, but you'd need to deal with the modules as well. They're now properly open source, if I understand it correctly, so recompiling itself may not be an issue, but a lot of Blitz code relies on platform-specific quirks that might not work on ARM (e.g. ARM can't read floats from non-aligned memory locations, so PeekFloat would need to be rewritten to correct for this).

The host OS is a bit of a minor issue by comparison, and only really affects which libraries the product can call out to and a few details of the final executable file's structure. The fact that Linux runs on x86 and other things does not imply that BlitzMax will run on other things just because it runs on x86.