Dual Monitor and bad GraphicsModes() result

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Dual Monitor and bad GraphicsModes() result

Armitage 1982(Posted 2011) [#1]
Great

Another specific Linux problem ahead.

GraphicsModes() only return me an ugly:

Just because I setup a dual monitor...

And it is absolutely impossible to execute anything in Full screen mode. In any ways ! Console just drop me a "Segmentation fault".

Everything work in window screen mode but obviously you cannot choose your screen resolution due to the erroneous GraphicsModes().

So the only solution I found for the moment is to brute force full-screen resolution when asked and draw back to window screen mode when it's not possible. This happen only when dual monitor is activated.

After the sound driver tweak, I can say that Linux do have crappy drivers... Even setting dual monitoring is tedious under X-server.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2011) [#2]
This is really a dumb situation because if I disable dual monitor I can go in fullscreen mode but when enabled the same resolution will crash with a Segmentation fault...
But I cannot test any resolution under Fullscreen or Window mode since GraphicsModes() will only return the current desktop resolution (2304,1024 ...) and ruin GraphicsModeExists().

Something similar exist with MacOs and Depth resolution, under desktop mode it will always only return x24bit resolution while x32 and x16 are available in fullscreen mode.

I will crawl again the forum to see if someone find a solution for both OS, but for me : it's a driver bug !

To be short, even GraphicsModeExists(800, 600) does not return true... I really hope I'm running a bad NVidia driver. Can someone confirm this function working correctly under Mint/Ubuntu ?

Last edited 2011