Executable run properties ?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Executable run properties ?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2011) [#1]
Hi,

I need your help for some Linux struggling.

I created an Install package that run correctly under Ubuntu thanks to InstallJammer, but for strange reasons I have to set in the properties of that installer a permission in order to run this file as an execution file (like the Downloadable .run Nvidia Driver file).

But I don't want to explain anything on how to install stuff just for Linux. So is there a way to enable this properties by default ? It's not saved when I put this online...

By the way, if you have any clue on how to change the executable icon... I still have to search for that but after packing my file, the icon disappear.

Last edited 2011

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#2]
I believe the Linux tar/gz commands allow you to retain permissions, so perhaps you could wrap up the executable in a tar/gz archive and unpack it during installation (with whatever command line switch keeps those permissions).

I don't think Linux exes can actually have icons -- I thought they were just images that the user's file manager linked to. Could be wrong on that...

Armitage 1982(Posted 2011) [#3]
Not a bad idea.
That would be much more easier to build my pack under Linux this way.
Plus I'm sure linux users don't like regular installer like install-shield and it's not much more harder than using Mac os DMG.

Yeah, the explanation I read yesterday was a bit hard to follow. They basically asking me to create an ressource RC file before compiling but since I'm using Max and not C/C++ hum... you know what I mean :)