Is it just me or does anyone else hate unity?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Is it just me or does anyone else hate unity?

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#1]
I cannot stand it. I have tried but even the transition from windows to ubuntu in the first place was not this horrible!

A) I guess so!. :D
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1744368

It is getting a little bit "ministry of information" and "ministry of truth" on the forums as well it seems, because every thread criticizing it gets moved and hidden away to "reccuring discussions" which is not even on the board!

Last edited 2011

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#2]
I lost sound in the last release of Ubuntu (never a problem prior to that), and gave up on that particular problem. The latest Ubuntu wouldn't even install, giving me different errors on two separate attempts.

I then tried Fedora 15 about two days ago, which literally killed itself after trying to install the proper NVIDIA drivers (not supported due to GPL tedium) and rebooting (after Googling to fix tons of other problems). I was attempting to get to grips with Gnome 3 until that point, and not doing too badly, despite its Unity-like interface!

They then released Fedora 16 about a day afterwards ("thanks for that")... but I'd already installed Linux Mint 11, which I'm finding mostly pretty good, other than some unsurprising long-standing Linux hiccups, including losing all window titlebars and borders, and the lower panel (like the Windows taskbar) failing to display windows to click on.

Linux Mint 11 also suffered from the same "no sound" thing, but I finally found how to get around this after much Googling, getting sound back from apps, even though the Sound app's "Test Sound" buttons, which I was using to... um, test for sound... still refused to play any, uh, sounds.

Unforgiveable: if you have multiple maximised windows, attempting to close the front-most window by hitting the very top-right pixel on the screen can in fact close the window behind instead! Unbelievably bad, and I know this has happened on many previous Linux installations. No idea how this has never been picked up on.

I seriously want to like Linux, but all distros, in one way or another, really seem to go out of their way to make that impossible. Still OK with Mint at this point, though it turns out Linux Mint 12 is due in a few days' time!

Last edited 2011

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#3]
Have you tried Xubuntu? It's like Ubuntu but prettier and more reliable.

Speaking of sound, I had fun with that for a while: it eventually turned out that if I chose to mute sound from Windows (on a dual-boot machine), it would stay muted on Linux (totally nonfunctional, even if the OS thought it was active). Took for ever to find that out by accident. I have no idea why it happened and it doesn't work the other way round. (Lucky thing I didn't uninstall Windows while it was muted!)

Perhaps this affects you?

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#4]
Many times. XFCE is alright, but gnome 2.3 was vastly superior to XFCE in my opinion... Although it looks like I will be heading that way :/

Here was my original "disgusted" post on UF:

I have been using "Unity" for a few days now in a desperate attempt to like it. (In fact i feel I have uneccesarily wasted some valuable hours faffing about)

After a disastrous first install (I had no Dash Icon!) I was actually happy when i found out that is not how it is supposed to be and that must have been why it was so bad!! (which as you can expect without a dash icon on unity was not good to start with!!)

But no. that was not the magic ingredient it needed (although it helped and made it basically... useable.)

I have also been trying "pure" gnome 3 on fedora. It is much better and somehow more "sensical" than unity but they both suffer the same kind of idiocies to varying degrees. So what has unity bought that is new to the table?

-Nothing that i can see-

Actually it has bought lots!... It has bought a whole large amount of LESS (unless you mean icon size in which case it rules!)

In almost every ("o.o.t.b.") video I have seen has been "all you have to do is search and type a few letters! blah blah blah..." sorry, but you could always do that (just not as obviously) I do not see how that is "new". Even the command line can do that to some extent when you press tab! .... Ok not ideal to use the terminal, and gnome -should- have (an obvious) active search function.... I agree!

-But-

Windows Vista, 7, and the latest OSXs all have this (as a feature) but they have not taken away anything their power users expect! (except for some moving about and renaming stuff).. On the contrary they have added more -and- made the interface easier and more attractive at the same time for beginners.

Surely a simple search box on the top bar and a non intrusive search-adaptive menu would have been better than a full screen takeover with icons the size of houses!.... and in all that space it lists a fraction of your apps! It could list them all and some in that space!
- I am not using a mobile phone!.

Great so gnome 3 and unity has a -visible- active search!!! - a required evolution, i agree. However it certainly does not warrant the removal of fundamental stuff that all speed and power users use without even needing to think about it. Why have these thing been locked out? It is not as if they conflict with "ease of use" users anyway because the vast majority do not even know those methods are there.

Also what is with the "lockdown"?? If it was not for this it would not be half as bad IMO. My first thought was how can i make everything smaller.... but i can't... how can i move the bar to the other side? hmmm i cant... Out of the box from a total "dummie's" point of view Ubuntu is now -less- customizable than Windows.

I know I -can- change it and that in reality Ubuntu is 10x more customizable than Windows or OSX... that is... if i -really- wanted to get my hands dirty and go poking around under the hood, but i have neither the time nor can be arsed to go looking for ways to force something that should at least have some freedom to start with. -This stuff should be obvious and more importantly present.

In short, it has been the most difficult transition of any Interface i have -ever- used , including stuff on Windows 2,3,NT,2K,XP,Vis,7, leopard, snow leopard, lion, IOS, Android and any versions of Linux based systems I have used.
These were all somehow intuitive and suitable for the scope of their purpose and I picked them all up quickly. (That is: -at least the transition you expect from the next generation of a system you have come to know like and respect)

Sure i can use Xfce(hmmm) or KDE (yuck) but I would rather use a (easily) customizable ubuntu out of the box default to be honest. Fine have the big easy interface but at least let me get rid of it within 5-15 minutes of switching it on without needing to do 'researching' if i want to. (and yes i know about fallback but how long is that going to be "tacked" on?)

I do not care if people call me a "Unity troll" as some did when i ranted it off after first seeing it. Personally I do not think I am and my arguments above feel justified . I had not even heard about unity until a few days ago when i installed it and had a shock (been too busy to bother updating my 9.x) a but if that what it takes to add my voice to the MAJORITY of users that DO NOT LIKE IT then all the better. Perhaps canonical or gnome or whoever needs to listen will listen.
Perhaps someone can make a branch of Gnome 2.3 and continue that along the proper path in the form of a DESKTOP OS. (in a logical way and use skins or something for "easy peasy" looking tablet interfaces instead).... lets hope so :/

The Gnome-Ubuntu outlook has never looked so bleak IMO, the whole community is split over this issue.

Last edited 2011

Winni(Posted 2011) [#5]
Everybody hates Unity, just like everybody will hate Windows 8's "Metro" crap for the same reasons and why everybody is ridiculing the "iOSification" of OS X Lion, which is also known as LaunchPad. Notebooks and Desktops are no tablets, but it seems that Steve Jobs's "we are in the Post-PC era" reality distortion field has infected the entire software industry.

I think Linux Mint is the best alternative to the official X/K/Ubuntu releases from Canonical -- it's Ubuntu/Debian at its core but comes with a usable Gnome environment. It's worth a look: http://linuxmint.com/

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#6]
In its defence, I thought it was a good choice for 1) netbooks and 2) n00bs who don't have any prior Linux experience to unlearn. What on Earth possessed them to think it was a sensible choice for larger screens and power users is completely beyond me though.

To be honest I am less bothered by the design itself (even if it is an ultrashallow copy of Mac OS X put together by a team who clearly have no idea about actual design issues), and more by the fact that there are subtle yet major changes from version 11.04 to 11.10. What were they thinking?

That, by the way, is what I take as most solid evidence of my claim that they're clueless: if they'd actually hired the army of behavioural psychologists and graphic designers that gave us the OSX (and presumably Windows) desktop structure, they wouldn't need to beta test half-finished ideas on the audience. That or they should have done as the majority of smaller fish do and gone for a straight, unashamed copy, because then they'd have a design that at least actually works. Audiences love it when you rip off the single taskbar, single start button design because 1) it works and 2) it actually is simple, ubiquitous, familiar etc.

The current one is more like seeing a car you like from another manufacturer, deciding that your company needs to have a unique brand identity, and therefore moving both left wheels to the rear passenger seats so it's visually distinctive.

GfK(Posted 2011) [#7]
Hate is a very strong word.

I'd say I "detest" it.

GaryV(Posted 2011) [#8]
It is not just you. I can't stand it. I also don't like the changes in GNOME and KDE has become too "heavy" for my taste. I have moved to Xubuntu.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2011) [#9]
Unity 3D Suck!

Everyone different on what they used....

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#10]
lol @ gfk :D

What annoys me is the -size- of everything. It is like I am using accessability features for a near-blind five year old. Unity is crazy, it uses the entire screen to show a few apps! It is also -s-l-o-w-.
If it was more eazy-customizable it would be better.

Last edited 2011

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#11]
lol @ gfk :D

What annoys me most is the -size- of everything and no option to change it. It is like I am using accessability features for a near-blind five year old. Unity is crazy, it uses the entire screen to show a few apps! It is also -s-l-o-w-.
If it was more eazy-customizable it would be better.

Last edited 2011