Somebody got it working on Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Somebody got it working on Ubuntu 11.10 64-bit?

danvari(Posted 2011) [#1]
Cannot run BlitzMax on Ubuntu 11.10:

because if i try to install libxpm4:i386 Ubuntu tries to remove about 90 packages, including ubuntu-desktop.

Any ideas?

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#2]
I cannot even look at Ubuntu 11.10 let alone try and use it. It just makes me too mad.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#3]
Not sure what's wrong there. I just got it working on Linux Mint 11, which is based on Ubuntu 11.10.

Try running the Synaptic package manager and searching for libxpm/libxpm-dev and make sure both are installed.

I also needed gcc-multilib and g++-multilib installed before I got it working on 64-bit Mint.

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#4]
Having the same issues here as well with Xubuntu 11.04. I installed the modules you mentioned BlitzSupport but for me it doesn't make any difference.

Here's the output of ldd on MaxIDE

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#5]
Do you mean you can't even run MaxIDE? I had no trouble running that from the start, it just wouldn't let me build until I installed those other packages.

My Linux knowledge is pretty limited, especially when it comes to how 32- and 64-bit programs work together, but only three dependencies seem to be missing from that ldd output:

libXxf86vm
libGLU
libXpm

Are these all showing as installed in Synaptic/Apt? This output seems to suggest they're not. (All the others show the path/offset of each library.)

If they are showing as installed already, perhaps trying adding the -dev versions too (building might need these anyway).

Also, try to locate the actual files if they are showing as installed, eg. search through the root folder for *libGLU* and so on and make a note of the paths.

Last edited 2011

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#6]
Yup, can't run MaxIDE (or my precompiled maximus and maximus-gui). The required libraries are installed and with a ldconfig -p I can find them. So that's very confusing.

Like danvari the :i386 libraries are not installed, but when I want to install them it wants to uninstall a lot of other stuff, so I'm not burning my hands on that one.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#7]
If you can find the files, I read elsewhere that you can just add their locations to your $PATH and the executable should then find them -- have a look at this post.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#8]
Another option seems to be to add those paths to LD_LIBRARY_PATH -- see the last post here, starting with "When building the application".

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#9]
When I do that I get the following message:

christiaan@eeepc:~/BlitzMax$ export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
christiaan@eeepc:~/BlitzMax$ ./MaxIDE 
./MaxIDE: error while loading shared libraries: libXxf86vm.so.1: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

So I guess it'll only run if the 32bit libraries are installed. Now to figure out how to do that...

Update: Problem solved! Found https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit and it appears you also need to install ia32-libs.

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Last edited 2011

Last edited 2011

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#10]
Ah. I came across ia32-libs while trying to get things working but don't remember installing it!

Does that still work even if you don't bother with the PATH thing?

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#11]
I didn't have to modify the path for it to work.