Ubuntu 11.04 installation made simple!

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Ubuntu 11.04 installation made simple!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#1]
Just had to go through this again on Ubuntu 11.04 with Unity, on a default installation with Nvidia's 3D graphics driver installed.

Here's what I had to copy and paste into a terminal window to install the required dependencies (tweaked version of Wellmt's post regarding Ubuntu 6.06 LTS):

sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa-dev x11proto-core-dev x11proto-gl-dev x11proto-kb-dev libxxf86vm-dev libasound2-dev libfreetype6-dev libxpm-dev libxft-dev

Type your password as prompted, and once completed you should then be able to build and run via MaxIDE. (You can also build modules, too, as it seems gcc is installed by default now.)

For 64-bit systems, you may well need to do this too:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

[EDIT: Added libxpm-dev and libxft-dev for building MaxGUI.]

Last edited 2011

Htbaa(Posted 2011) [#2]
Ah yes, some of those dependencies only show up when you compile your MaxGUI program. MaxGUI compiles fine by itself without needing some of them (libxft-dev for one I believe).

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#3]
Ah, OK -- I think those last two libs may have come up while I was trying to build something or other from the Monkey src, rather than MaxGUI itself.

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#4]
something or other???

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#5]
I think I meant something from the Max src, but I'm all confused now. Been dabbling in both at the same time, sorry. Anyway, those libs are needed!

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#6]
!!!

Are they releasing a new Ubuntu every 6 months?!
Really, I remember I installed Ubuntu 10.x not long ago...

BlitzSupport(Posted 2011) [#7]
Yeah, that's what they always do -- new one's due in October, about 6 weeks away I believe!

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#8]
Are they releasing a new Ubuntu every 6 months?!

Yep, the apparent major/minor version number actually refer to the year and month of the version's release respectively. 11.04 was released in April this year and 11.10 is coming in a month or so.

Last edited 2011

AvestheFox(Posted 2011) [#9]
I'm a complete noob when it comes to Linux (just installed Ubuntu today) so logically I try to install BMax a bit blindly here...

I followed the directions from the other thread and then copy/pasta'd the code from this thread into a terminal and this is what I got:

and before you ask, I did move the BlitzMax folder into the home directory as advised in the other thread :P

what am I missing exactly?

Last edited 2011

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#10]
Based on this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1632145

..try "sudo apt-get update" and then try again?

AvestheFox(Posted 2011) [#11]
okay, yeah that got the packages downloaded and everything but I still cant access BMax... it says this:

"Could not display '/home/administrator/BlitzMax/MaxIDE'. There is no application installed for executable files"

Matt Merkulov(Posted 2012) [#12]
While building modules system stopped with "can't find g++". I installed "GNU C++ compiler" from Ubuntu Applications Centre and it all compiled fine.

Winni(Posted 2012) [#13]
While building modules system stopped with "can't find g++". I installed "GNU C++ compiler" from Ubuntu Applications Centre and it all compiled fine.

For those who prefer using a shell, this should help with that:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

Last edited 2012

psychoullis(Posted 2012) [#14]
That worked just great on my 11.10!!! Thanks for the help.

Mahan(Posted 2012) [#15]
On my 64-bit Lubuntu 11.10 install I also had to install this package:

sudo apt-get install libc6-dev-i386

(Got a compile error about missing .h-file on first module rebuild without it.)

edit:

Also needed to make a softlink for libstdc++ for the linker to work when building BlitzMax apps:

sudo ln -s /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.6 /usr/lib32/libstdc++.so

Now firepaint and fireworks (samples) run.

Last edited 2012

dmaz(Posted 2015) [#16]
also required on Ubuntu 14 at least is
sudo apt-get install libopenal-dev

summary of what I did following this post for a 32bit Ubuntu 14
sudo apt-get install build-essential
sudo apt-get install libglu1-mesa-dev x11proto-core-dev x11proto-gl-dev x11proto-kb-dev libxxf86vm-dev libasound2-dev libfreetype6-dev libxpm-dev libxft-dev libopenal-dev

hmmm, I may not have needed to install libopenal-dev

but I do need to include
?Linux
Import "-ldl"
?
in the apps that use it or aren't coded with Framework