Live System

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Live System

Blitzogger(Posted 2011) [#1]
Does anyone know of a live cd, that i can use to create linux executables of my game. I don't want to reformat my entire system to install linux, and i have a very old laptop, so dual booting isn't an option. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Blitzogger

Yasha(Posted 2011) [#2]
Most of the mainstream Linux varieties have this as standard. Ubuntu has it on the same CD as for installation.

Personal favourite: http://www.xubuntu.org/

I would be wary of not testing your game properly on a different OS, though. Why is dual-booting a problem? It doesn't cost system resources to run the OS, because only one runs at a time - just space.

Yan(Posted 2011) [#3]
If you're worried about repartitioning your HD, you could use Wubi. This installs Ubuntu as a virtual drive and, AFAIK, the only thing altered in your system partition is Boot.ini.

The upshot of this being, you can simply install and uninstall Linux from within Windows as if it were an application. You do need a few GB of free HD space to do this though, which is the problem you may have been alluding to when you mentioned your laptop's age.

More info here.

Last edited 2011

Blitzogger(Posted 2011) [#4]

The upshot of this being, you can simply install and uninstall Linux from within Windows as if it were an application. You do need a few GB of free HD space to do this though, which is the problem you may have been alluding to when you mentioned your laptop's age.

More info here.

Yes, you are correct the problem is my hard drive size is 16 gigs and since Windows alone consumes 4 gigs, i am left with only 12 to do with what i wish. The other problem is the laptop is running at a mere 698Mhz with 256MB of ram. I can't afford a new laptop so i'm trying to make due with what i do have. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Blitzogger

Kirkkaf(Posted 2011) [#5]
Hi Blitzogger,

Check out http://www.jolicloud.com/download

It's designed for netbooks or old pcs it can run along side windows and is only 700mb.

Blitzogger(Posted 2011) [#6]
Hi Katogoon,

Has anyone ever gotten Blitzmax working on jolicload? This seems like a very possible solution to getting a compiled linux version out. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Blitzogger

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#7]
Has anyone ever gotten Blitzmax working on jolicload?

Since Joli OS is simply a rehash of Ubuntu, there's no reason it shouldn't work on that - although for compiling apps, you need GCC and all the supporting developer tools and libraries.
For running your built apps, Joli OS will probably already have all you need, but otherwise I don't think it is your best bet as far as using it to develop apps in.

Live CDs work fine in theory, although you need somewhere to store your persistent data - such as BlitzMax and all your work.

If your system supports it, you can also install a "live CD" on a USB flash drive, and set up a BlitzMax development environment on that. I've done this in the past and it works great. Sure, it's a bit slower to use USB Flash as your hard-drive, but it does work.

16gig isn't much these days :-)

My own BlitzMax folder is currently 6gig... not including my wxMax modules. Ouch! :-p

xlsior(Posted 2011) [#8]
Another option: If your computer's BIOS supports booting from a USB device, you can get a cheapo external USB Harddrive, and install Linux on there. Not as fast as a SATA or IDE drive, but it should at least function.

Arska(Posted 2011) [#9]
You can also install Linux to virtual computer.
http://www.virtualbox.org/

You can use Linux without shutting down your main operating system.

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#10]
True, but on a system with only 256MB of RAM, there's barely enough room on there for Windows...

Arska(Posted 2011) [#11]
Oh. If there is really that much RAM, i am wondering what Windows is doing in that system? O_o Arch Linux or Gentoo with OpenBox desktop enviroment is very light weight for old systems. But some Linux knowledge is required, especially with Gentoo.

Or just install Damn small linux to MP3 player memory. :D

D4NM4N(Posted 2011) [#12]
You should make a usb hdd/stick to boot it instead of a CD. That way you can still have a separate writable area without even needing to touch your existing hdd. And it is a million times faster and better on the battery :)

Having said that, most (like ubuntu) can read and write a NTFS partition anyway (if you install samba/cifs that is if you even still need to) so you can just save your stuff on a folder on your regular C drive anyway.

Last edited 2011