Linux first steps...

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Linux first steps...

Russell(Posted 2011) [#1]
Ok, so I love to torture myself...

So I thought it would be "neat" to install Oracle's free VirtualBox software and then install Windows XP Professional so I can run those two or three programs I have that don't work (or work correctly) under Windows 7 (such as DVD Shrink - Some say it does, but I can tell you, for me, it doesn't).

Anyway, I was surprised how easy it was to install Windows XP under this virtual machine, and DVD Shrink worked perfectly!

So then, being the masochist that I am, I thought, "Hey, Russell, why don't you install Fedora 14 64 bit under VBox?"

"Yeah!" I answered, and installed Fedora 14 64 bit with almost no trouble.

So, now I have WinXP and Linux running on top of Win7! So I decide to install the Linux version of BlitzMax. Well, it downloaded fine and extracted fine, but no amount of double-clicking will get the MaxIDE to start! Nor right-clicking and selecting 'Open'.

I even tried an older version for Linux (version 1.28) and it did the same thing: The IDE simply will not run. No error messages. Nothing.

Any ideas what might be wrong? Anyone else have success running Linux under VBox and install BMax?

Thanks,
Russell

I'm using Fedora 14 64 bit
Kernel Linux 2.6.35.11-83.fc14x86_64
GNOME 2.32.0

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#2]
Ok, so I love to torture myself...

I was just thinking that when I saw the title :-)

The version of the IDE is probably using such an old version of glibc that it might not find the required libraries on your installation.
You need to run it from the command-line to see an error message. (Oh, goody, I can hear you saying to yourself!)
So, open a shell/console and get yourself into the BlitzMax directory.
Then type :
./MaxIDE

Linux is case sensitive, so the case needs to match the exe name. The dot-slash prefix tells it to run this local copy.
You should get your errors directly on running this. I expect it will complain about glibc.

To see if bmk will run (so that you might one day be able to recompile the IDE), head for the BlitzMax/bin directory.
Try something like :
./bmk makemods

It should at least try to do something, or you'll get similar errors. If it complains about actually not being able to compile stuff, don't worry for now, since that's the least of your worries ;-)

If you can get bmk to run, then you need to head for the Linux forum here, and follow the guide to getting all the dev libraries installed on your Linux installation.

Russell(Posted 2011) [#3]
Thanks, Brucey! Right now, Linux just seems "weird" to me. Like, I have no idea how to change to a different drive (I'm used to things like "C:" and "D:" and an occasional "A:"). Linux seems to use a completely alien methodology which will take some getting used to... (I'm sure a person coming from Linux to Windows would have similar complaints ;)

But anyway, I'll give it a try and see what happens! And don't worry, this was only a momentary side-track: I will not (hopefully) be bothering you too much on this... <Brucey crosses fingers>

Thanks again!
Russell

Russell(Posted 2011) [#4]
Ok, if I run the MaxIDE (not maxide or MAXIDE or maxIde...) I get this error message (took me a while to figure out how to get TO the %$#&#^ downloads directory, until I typed "dir" and it listed directories available to me, etc.):
./MaxIDE: error while loading shared libraries: libXpm.so.4: cannot open shared object object file: No such file or directory

If I try ./bmk makemods (The equivalent of minGW is part of Linux, right? Or do I need to install some additional files?), I get:
Compiling blitz_app.c
sh: gcc: command not found
Build error: failed to compile /home/Russell/Downloads/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/blitz.mod/blitz_app.c

I'm not dead-set on Fedora (I like it, but if you know of a more compatible - with BlitzMax - distribution, I'd be glad to hear it {Suse, etc}).

Russell

Brucey(Posted 2011) [#5]
This might help....

:o)

Ole JR(Posted 2011) [#6]
To save you from alot of trouble I would atleast go for a 32bit version
of the distro you use.
It's doable to get BlitzMAx working on x64 too, but somehow (alot) harder.

And for distro's.. They pretty much work the same way.
More a matter of taste really..

But it might be easier to get closedsource drivers (gfx), mp3 playback and such
working on OpenSuse/(K)Ubuntu, because Fedora doesn't support those
'out of the box'..

Last edited 2011

Russell(Posted 2011) [#7]
Ok, I ran the script mentioned in the link and it installed a bunch of stuff.
I rebooted Linux and ran
./MaxIDE
again (double-clicking doesn't do anything :( ) and I got this slightly different error message:
[Russell@RussellLinux BlitzMax]$ ./MaxIDE
bash: ./MaxIDE: /lib/ld-linux.so.2: bad ELF interpreter: No such file or directory

:(
During the running of the above script, I assumed everything that it needed to install was being installed. Is this correct?

It's too bad that the Linux version of Bmax doesn't use its own script to get all the stuff it needs to run. In fact, it'd be really cool if ALL versions of Bmax gave you the option, during installation, of downloading a compatible version of minGW (or the equivalent) if you're interested in module development, etc. The Linux version should run right out of the box IMHO, even if it can't compile modules. I know there are quite a few different distributions of Linux, but there must be some way.

I imagine the Mac OSX version runs right out of the box because they are all generally the same setup, albeit with some OS differences to be expected. Linux's open-ness and configurability is also its weak point in the minds of new users - They expect things to just work.
<Steps down from soap box>

Oh well, I'm sure my problem is a relatively minor one, but it is kind of frustrating... ;)

Russell

skidracer(Posted 2011) [#8]

I'm not dead-set on Fedora (I like it, but if you know of a more compatible - with BlitzMax - distribution, I'd be glad to hear it {Suse, etc}).

Ubuntu is the official Linux distribution for BlitzMax.

Russell(Posted 2011) [#9]
Hey, guess what? I installed Ubuntu instead and BMax ran! But I needed to run that special script to get g++ and all the other things it needs to compile, and that did the trick!

Fun fun fun!
Russell

p.s. Fedora has a slightly slicker interface, but who cares? Ubuntu just WORKS {and, I like the built-in software center to find and install other things you need}.

Russell

shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#10]
If you don't like MaxIDE you can use gedit which I find is a lot nicer to code with (code completition, snippets, ... )
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=91279

orgos(Posted 2011) [#11]
im run this code and the BlitzMax 1.41 + MaxIDE 2 CE works fine but its compile but not RUN... say that:

Building defender
Compiling:defender.bmx
flat assembler version 1.68 (32768 kilobytes memory)
6 passes, 0.3 seconds, 704367 bytes.
Linking:defender

Process complete

then i dont see the app...

salut