No sound - 1st attempt to use Linux BlitzMax

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/No sound - 1st attempt to use Linux BlitzMax

mulawa1(Posted 2011) [#1]
After many successful years with Windows BlitzMax and, more recently, a win with Mac OSX, I decided to give Linux a go. But I'm a Linux newbie. I'm using Fedora 14.

Wasn't easy but I've got it working - only gotcha is the lack of sound. I see from searching the forum that sound has been an issue for others.

skidracer said:

Ouch, it looks like both ALSA and OSS audio systems have now been displaced by PulseAudio in world of Linux. Unfortunately BlitzMax doesn't yet support PulseAudio API so you could try using OpenAL, at top of your program try:
EnableOpenALAudio()
SetAudioDriver("OpenAL Default")

I tried this with no success - both the above lines returned False.

The system I'm using does produce sound ok so, as a newbie, I'm at a loss where to go next.

Peter

jhans0n(Posted 2011) [#2]
Yeah, a couple years back I tried to get sound working with BlitzMax on Linux but couldn't. Since the market for Linux games is nonexistent anyway, I just gave up.

The way I see it, if the platform doesn't "just work", and there's hardly anybody playing games on it, why bother with it?

shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#3]

If you take a look at the statistic of the indie humble game bundle, one can clearly see, that there is market beyond windows.

OnTopic: I've had an issue too with sound, try searching for MaxMod2.

jhans0n(Posted 2011) [#4]
That is a special case. It's the exception and not the rule and you know it.

The Linux game market is small - smaller than OS X. And supporting it is going to take you more time and effort than the other platforms particularly if you don't use it often.

shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#5]
You may be right.
Although I think if you have the chance to support multiple platforms (which BlitzMax gives you quite easily) there is no reason not to do it.
Just my opinion.

jhans0n(Posted 2011) [#6]
When I was trying to do this, it took me about 5 minutes to get everything up and running on both Windows and OS X, and then I wasted a whole weekend just trying to get the same stuff to work in Linux.

If you have to spend a disproportionate amount of time or effort to support one of the platforms, and it happens to be the smallest one, that's a good reason not to do it. Another good reason is if you're unfamiliar with the platform. If something breaks, or someone needs help getting your game running, how are you going to fix it?

mulawa1(Posted 2011) [#7]
Thanks for the replies - discouraging though they are.

I have no plans to market a Linux version - it was just a Linux learning exercise for me especially as I'm heavily into creating activities for OLPC.

Peter

Perturbatio(Posted 2011) [#8]
Using Ubuntu, I've never had any problems with sound (that I recall).

My only issue was compiling on 64bit linux, although the latest ubuntu seems to have solved that.

oddchild(Posted 2011) [#9]
thanks skiracer, i finally got sound to work.. by adding those two lines into the code! i have been looking all over the place trying to get it to work.

shinkiro1(Posted 2011) [#10]
Just interested. What were the 2 lines?

SLotman(Posted 2011) [#11]
I always use

?Linux
If EnableOpenALAudio() Then
SetAudioDriver("openal")
Else
SetAudioDriver("FreeAudio")
End If
?

Works on Ubuntu 8 and Ubuntu10; also works on a brazilian distro called "Linux Fenix" (I've erased it a long time ago, came pre-installed in one computer, seems to be based on Debian).

The only problem I have so far with Linux/Bmax is not being able to set an Window Icon. Other than that, it just works :)

Last edited 2011

mulawa1(Posted 2011) [#12]
Thanks SLotman,

I did try FreeAudio but that didn't work either. I still wonder if I need to install some package on my Fedora 14.

Peter

Armitage 1982(Posted 2011) [#13]
I did try FreeAudio but that didn't work either. I still wonder if I need to install some package on my Fedora 14.

Same thing here.
But then I install something call libopenal-dev and things are working now.
Only another lib called libopenal1 was installed, so I suppose BlitzMax need the dev version.

Also I'm wondering if there is something similar with the FreeAudio drivers because if OpenAL Fail, FreeAudio does the same...

But anyway, OpenAL is enough for me.
Hope this help someone :)