Whats the answer for 64-bit linux??

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Whats the answer for 64-bit linux??

jondecker76(Posted 2010) [#1]
I am using BMX in Ubuntu 10.04 AMD64. I haven't done anything special, but everything seems to work ok so far.
(Well, PXFlipPixMap causes a segfault on my system, I wonder if its 64-bit related???)

I'm reading through this forum, and it appears that its not running for others under 64 bit, so whats the official word? Do I need to do anything special?

Warpy(Posted 2010) [#2]
I've got it running in ubuntu 64-bit, didn't have to do anything special.

dawlane(Posted 2010) [#3]
So far the only problems that I have encountered relate to using mods that require 32bit libraries or dependencies to be installed. One example is Brucey's WXMax mod which only partially works under a 64bit system unless you force the installation of 32bit WX-Widgets and its dependencies.

Well, PXFlipPixMap causes a segfault on my system, I wonder if its 64-bit related???
The only way to find out is to post a bit of test code and what version of BMax you used to compile it.

markcw(Posted 2010) [#4]
Well I have switched back from 64bit to 32bit ubuntu because there is some software that doesn't work in 64bit. For example the makefile for fltk 1.3 source - note that I don't mean the maxgui fltk source.

Winni(Posted 2010) [#5]
Well I have switched back from 64bit to 32bit ubuntu because there is some software that doesn't work in 64bit.

That's a shame. I think BRL really needs to fix this - BlitzMax requires a 64-Bit build.

Wiebo(Posted 2010) [#6]
Why would you require a 64 bit Linux? I wonder because each process can 4gb of memory anyway. Is there another reason than memory, or have you written something that requires 64bit?

Winni(Posted 2010) [#7]
The whole industry is moving towards 64-Bit as the default architecture, and we've also consolidated all our servers on 64-Bit operating systems. So far, especially on Linux, it's always been messy when you have to mix architectures.

Is there a real technical need to use 64-Bit technology? In most cases, no. I have some apps that take advantage of the 64-Bit address room, but for most uses it doesn't really matter.

But what matters are compatibility and ease of deployment. And life gets a whole lot easier in that department when your application doesn't require a ton of legacy compatibility layers.