Module compile on linux

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Module compile on linux

DH(Posted 2009) [#1]
So I broke open bmax to tryout on an installation of Ubuntu I just started on a virtual pc. Ubuntu is everything default (9.0<something>).

I download blitzmax 1.34, recompile all modules, and get an error on:
/home/casey/Desktop/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/system.mod/system.h:53: error: expected ) before * token

I kinda thought this was going to be good to go out of the box.... I'll try going back a version of bmax before anything else. I really dont want to dig into the brl code and start messing around if I shouldnt.

DH(Posted 2009) [#2]
Same thing in 1.33........

*sigh* I really dont want to dig into these issues out of the box.....

DH(Posted 2009) [#3]
Seems to be another error before that:

/home/casey/Desktop/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/system.mod/system.h:52:22: error: x11/xlib.h: No such file or directory

Missing x11.... wonderful, linux fun here we come haha

DH(Posted 2009) [#4]
it would seem that without x11 I am screwed.....

Jesse(Posted 2009) [#5]
I think you need MinGW.
check out this guide it might help you:
http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=82292

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#6]
Man, I love how you just decide that there must be some huge bug in BlitzMax that nobody else has found or decided to fix.

Obviously you are missing something, and my guess is that you are missing a bunch of Linux dependencies. There are threads around here that explain everything you need. Many of us have the latest version of BlitzMax running on the latest version of Ubuntu.

DH(Posted 2009) [#7]
Man, I love how you just decide that there must be some huge bug in BlitzMax that nobody else has found or decided to fix.

Are you a moron?

Where the hell did I say it was a bug? I said it was disappointing that it didnt just work out of the box (cause I hate having to mess with a clean install of linux).

There are threads around here that explain everything you need.

Yeah, figured that.... Unlike you though, I have little time to sift through linux threads on configuration (in this case, the brl forums in search of answers to a simple installation). I have 14 different tasks going on here 'TaskMaster', 13 of which I get paid to do. Unlike you I have little time to devote to researching why my 'hobby' dev product isn't working out of the box, so I figured I would make a post in the begininers area in hopes of getting an answer (which I did, thank you very much Jesse).

Secondly, to rebut your comment above... For ANYONE who has EVER configured linux you know fully well that with every major or minor release there are configuration changes by which previous documented workarounds (those who HAVE solved a problem before) are no longer valid. I did find a post from Mark saying I needed a few dependencies just before I saw Jesse's answer. But it was for build 132, and before I go installing a bunch of crap that might not work anymore with build 134 I figured I would keep my question open (again, in the beginners area) to see if there were a more updated solution....

Thirdly, I only want to do a simple console app and (correct me if I am wrong here but) isn't x11 for graphics? I can understand if I wanted to use the graphics portion of bmax, but I don't, I thought it wouldnt use certain frameworks by default heh......

Lastly, if it were common knowledge, then it should be in the manual shouldn't it?!?

So with all that being said, you sir can touch my back side with not one, but both of your lips......

markcw(Posted 2009) [#8]
Run this script to check you have all dependencies. Name it install.sh and set the file permissions to execute file as program (accessed in file properties dialog).

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=84073#979145

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#9]
Thirdly, I only want to do a simple console app

I download blitzmax 1.34, recompile all modules

If you want to recompile all modules, then you should expect to require all modules dependencies.

If you want to build a BlitzMax console app without X11, I don't see why that would be a major problem.

Scienthsine(Posted 2009) [#10]
Well, although you didn't say you 'found a bug', you did say 'I really dont want to dig into the brl code and start messing around if I shouldnt.'. Which is saying there is something wrong with the code itself (omg... what do we call those?... I forget), rather than a problem on your part.

Please refrain from calling people morons or sexual advances involving your rear end. His response wasn't super nice, but yours was down right immature.

MingW is a port of gcc and tools for windows... in linux you have GCC... so there is no need for a port of it...

As Brucey said, if you want to rebuild all modules, your going to have to have the dependencies of all modules...

I hope you get everything settled. We're sorry you have so many things to do, and that your time is more important than ours, the people trying to help you.

DH(Posted 2009) [#11]
@markcw:
I'll give it a try, thx!

@Brucey:
It told me I had to recompile the documentation. And from a few things I remember reading in the past that people would install updated to blitzmax and need to recompile the modules as well. I remember blitzmax in win being so easy and not needing anything else. Without any good documentation I was kinda stuck with what I knew (trying that first). I know it seems all cut and dry for you guys having run with blitzmax since day 1. For me, I ran with it on day 1 and then put it away until max 3d (which we all know what happened there lol). My only blitzmax experience was on a windows platform, and I dont remember needing anything else when I rebuilt the libraries. But the way you put it it makes sense ;-)

@Scienthsine:
You don't want me to come off as condescending yet that's your tactic in replying to my post?

'I really dont want to dig into the brl code and start messing around if I shouldnt.'. Which is saying there is something wrong with the code itself (omg... what do we call those?... I forget),

in some cases I call those configurations (most surly it is called a configuration change in php where if I don't need something, I can simply comment it out)

Please refrain from calling people morons or sexual advances involving your rear end.

Gladly! In return please refrain from contributing anything to this community (checking... oh wait, you already accomplished that, thx for doing it in advance)! Seriously though, if you think that my asking him (in a nice way mind you) to "kiss my arse" as a sexual advance, then by all means let me extend the invitation to you as well!

As Brucey said, if you want to rebuild all modules, your going to have to have the dependencies of all modules...

Thanks for reposting what someone above you posted... Def makes you look like a genius!

We're sorry you have so many things to do, and that your time is more important than ours, the people trying to help you.

What's this 'ours' crap? I only meant that comment to Taskmaster (but am willing to include you in the recipient list if your so inclined) and, in it's defense (the comment), it wasn't until he blatantly assumed I had all this time to sift through years of forum posts to find something that should probably be in a manual or on the products page somewhere that I chose it.

Those who have helped me didn't reply with attacks or quoting a more seasoned user just to sound like they were contributing. I appreciate their responses (the helpers) although the rest of the 'holier than thou' community answers the ultimate question of why Blitz has fallen to the wayside. Again thanks Brucey, markcw and Jesse. To the other two... Well you can probably guess what I am not going to say ;-)

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#12]
Wow, Dark Half, you rock.

It is notbody's fault you do not know how to use Linux but your own. If you need help, ask nicely for help, don't start throwing around accusations.

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#13]
YES. I love topics like this! I really adds some excitement to my day :D

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#14]
Dark Half: Don't feel bad. I have never been able to get BlitzMax installed properly on any version of Linux. There are not really any detailed instructions except for some very old versions of Linux. As you discovered when you run into a problem you get put-downs instead of help.

A little over a year, I offered to pay somebody $100 to help me get BlitzMax installed on Linux. No takers and the thread got deleted because it devolved to anti-Linux rhetoric and personal put downs because I am a newbie to Linux.

Hence, I use PureBasic for Linux. No problems installing it on Linux. I would prefer to be using BMax though. But people here aren't willing to help, as you found out the hard way.

Ked(Posted 2009) [#15]
Don't feel bad. I have never been able to get BlitzMax installed properly on any version of Linux. There are not really any detailed instructions except for some very old versions of Linux. As you discovered when you run into a problem you get put-downs instead of help.

A little over a year, I offered to pay somebody $100 to help me get BlitzMax installed on Linux. No takers and the thread got deleted because it devolved to anti-Linux rhetoric and personal put downs because I am a newbie to Linux.

Hence, I use PureBasic for Linux. No problems installing it on Linux. I would prefer to be using BMax though. But people here aren't willing to help, as you found out the hard way.

I got BlitzMax working on Ubuntu without any problems. I just followed the tutorials here on the forums. I guess you haven't read them?

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#16]
I got BlitzMax working on Ubuntu without any problems. I just followed the tutorials here on the forums. I guess you haven't read them?

Perhaps you could point to which one actually worked for you?

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#17]
You have to remember, not everyone has experience with Linux. I remember when I first tried it (due to external force) it was horrible - not because Linux is horrible (necessarily anyway :P) but because, I was used to knowing where everything is in Windows, how it all works, and suddenly I found myself in an alien environment where everything was kind of the same, but slightly different. It was very disorientating. I remember, in Linux Firefox when you click the address bar it doesn't preselect the whole address, but in Windows Firefox it does. When you're used to working quickly, these subtle differences really throw you off.

Anyway getting to my point - I too have tried to get BlitzMax running on Linux. And I too have completely given up. I had absolutely no idea how to transform this bunch of random files I downloaded into some kind of program that actually worked, and Linuxians have this whole "LINUX IS SUPER OWNAGE AND IF YOU CAN'T USE IT YOU JUST SUCK THEN" thing going on (case in point above)... so... three cheers for Windows and its automatic installer-based culture!

DH(Posted 2009) [#18]
This worked for me (thanks again Jesse):

I'm guessing he gave up Ked, I would have done the same. Not as much give up but move over to something else you know works (even if it involves more time to accomplish).

Thanks for the comments GaryV, and I feel your pain. I'm not quite a newbie in Linux (I used to run webservers a few years back), but I am in no way an expert (if someone hasnt done it and posted it in a forum somewhere, I seldom figure it out on my own). I remember when I first installed SUSE back in the day and tried to get a simple app downloaded and installed on it (at the time it was limewire strangely enough) and after 4 hours of fooling around I just put windows back on the box and let my wife (at the time, now ex) have it :-)

Then again, it is a bit of a fanboyism that tends to lead to these debates (or harassment). The die hard Blitz'ers believe that the product is so awesome that anyone who has trouble with it is some kind of dolt. I'm sure it would surprise them that I find C# easier to understand than Blitzmax (and MSDN documentation as we all know is even harder to navigate)....

@Czar: I dont want to turn it into another Win vs Linux vs Mac topic TBH. I need to make a server console app for a linux box (very basic). Problem is it's a side project that I am not getting paid for (not work related). I thought I could do it quick in blizmax (cause I know coding in blitz is pretty quick) however I have come to remember why I choose to leave blitz behind. Case in point:
ConnectSocket( socket:TSocket,remoteIp,remotePort )

Is remoteIP an integer? nope, it doesnt like an ip address in there as an integer... Is it a string? Nope, doesnt like a string....

So for me its a frustration with Blitzmax documentation and the overly complex world of linux that makes a bad combination :-(

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#19]
Nobody attacked Dark Half until he started attacking people. All I did was point out that it was not a bug in BlitzMax as he was alluding to. He needed some dependencies.

If more people would just ask for help rather than make false claims and accusations, they wouldn't feel like they were being attacked.

I am no Linux expert, but I was able to build modules in Ubuntu after about 10 or 15 minutes of searching and installing dependencies. I also got it all working in a Mac VM which took about 30 minutes because I have never used a mac before.

All of the information you need is here, and all you have to do is ask for help.

I think I used this thread when I installed it:

http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=84385

Ked(Posted 2009) [#20]

I never saw that one! That's a lot easier to read than the one I used.

DH(Posted 2009) [#21]
I also got it all working in a Mac VM

Correct me if I'm wrong, how did you get a vm of OSX going? I tried doing that last year and found that it is against Apple's terms of use to have OSX (other than server) running in a VM.

As for false claims and accusations, feel free to reread the thread. I don't see anywhere I made any false claims or accusations.. Although I don't recall asking for help directly, I didn't in any way say Bmax was broken or bugged. Just because you assumed or took it as such doesn't make it so.

Your comment:

Was either aimed at Jesse or Me (as we are the only ones that posted before you). So man up....

GaryV(Posted 2009) [#22]
You have to remember, not everyone has experience with Linux. I remember when I first tried it (due to external force) it was horrible - not because Linux is horrible (necessarily anyway :P) but because, I was used to knowing where everything is in Windows, how it all works, and suddenly I found myself in an alien environment where everything was kind of the same, but slightly different. It was very disorientating. I remember, in Linux Firefox when you click the address bar it doesn't preselect the whole address, but in Windows Firefox it does. When you're used to working quickly, these subtle differences really throw you off.

I didn't have much of an issue with that. And I have been able to install other products with little issue. BM is the only one I have really had issues with. It is a major stumbling-block for me.

Now, I look at that one and I see SVN and wonder how it could work since Mark dropped SVN?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#23]
Play nice, people :-)

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#24]
Is remoteIP an integer? nope, it doesnt like an ip address in there as an integer... Is it a string? Nope, doesnt like a string....
The Blitz modules are written in Strict mode, so all variables not assigned a type are assumed to be integers. You need to convert the "dot" format to 32-bit integer format, which is a bit of a pain. If you have a.b.c.d it's something like a*16777216 + b*65536 + c*256 + d*1

Scienthsine(Posted 2009) [#25]
in some cases I call those configurations (most surly it is called a configuration change in php where if I don't need something, I can simply comment it out)

Seriously?
I really dont want to dig into the brl code and start messing around if I shouldnt.
You didn't there, or am i supposed to respond to what you... didn't type? Well, good luck configuring yourself up some games.

Gladly! In return please refrain from contributing anything to this community (checking... oh wait, you already accomplished that, thx for doing it in advance)! Seriously though, if you think that my asking him (in a nice way mind you) to "kiss my arse" as a sexual advance, then by all means let me extend the invitation to you as well!
I was joking with the 'sexual advance' part... forgive me... an overestimation of your intellect on my part. Not sure I want to place my lips there, but I'm about ready to try it on as a boot. Ohhh it'd be a good boot alright.

Thanks for reposting what someone above you posted... Def makes you look like a genius!
That and the line about mingw was me trying to help you sift through what you needed to know, and didn't. Anyways, your welcome, I know I may seem like a genius from your point of view, but trust me you'll learn something someday.

What's this 'ours' crap? I only meant that comment to Taskmaster (but am willing to include you in the recipient list if your so inclined) and, in it's defense (the comment), it wasn't until he blatantly assumed I had all this time to sift through years of forum posts to find something that should probably be in a manual or on the products page somewhere that I chose it.
Ohhh, (stickied I think...) threads are just there for people who have time! Well, I'm glad that your knowledge of Taskmasters free time, and the very winded explanation of your own time, and finally the comparison of the two... wasn't directed to me. I take back my words. I'm glad you don't 'blatantly assume' anything.

To tell the truth, had I read just your first post, I would have probably helped out as much as I could. After reading your response to (once again not so nice) Taskmaster, I decided that -My- time was only worth what I posted.

As for false claims and accusations, feel free to reread the thread. I don't see anywhere I made any false claims or accusations.. Although I don't recall asking for help directly, I didn't in any way say Bmax was broken or bugged. Just because you assumed or took it as such doesn't make it so.

Nope, you blatantly attacked people.

Obviously you are missing something, and my guess is that you are missing a bunch of Linux dependencies. There are threads around here that explain everything you need. Many of us have the latest version of BlitzMax running on the latest version of Ubuntu.

TaskMaster addressed your problem right there. You have dependency issues. He told you that the answers are here, and that people do have it working with the latest stuff. He did not step you through what dependencies you needed because he may not know which ones -exactly-. He may not have too much time either, but decided he could send you in the right direction. He didn't even comment on your quadruple post there, and yet you replied calling him a moron, saying his time isn't worth yours, and finally telling him to kiss your arse.

Finally...
Gladly! In return please refrain from contributing anything to this community (checking... oh wait, you already accomplished that, thx for doing it in advance)!

Wtf? FYI I contributed a decent amount back when blitzcoder was up, some on codersworkshop, and even a tiny bit on socoder and here. I'm not quite sure why your even commenting on this though? Are you telling me to not help out? Well, I'll tell you this, you have no help from me to worry about from here on, k?

Czar Flavius(Posted 2009) [#26]
There are millions of people starving in the world, does this even matter?

TaskMaster(Posted 2009) [#27]
Dark Half, you complained that you didn't want to have to mess around with the source code to get it to compile under linux.

So, I took what you typed as saying there was some sort of bug.

Then you took what I typed as an attack against you. My saying that you were accusing BlitzMax of having bugs is an attack on you??? I do not see how you took that as an attack. I misunderstood what you typed, as others did, and you took my comment as an attack, which it wasn't. So, maybe we are both at fault.

But my accusing you of saying BlitzMax was buggy is a far cry from being an attack, let alone calling you a moron.

Seems to me, you might have some anger management issues :)

Anyway, yes, I grabbed a VMWare VM of OSX off of the Net and installed BlitzMax on it. I compiled modules, and compiled my modules with it, so it worked just fine.

DH(Posted 2009) [#28]
Anyway, yes, I grabbed a VMWare VM of OSX off of the Net and installed BlitzMax on it.

Yeah, gotta love people openly admitting to software piracy lol.

Seems to me, you might have some anger management issues :)

Not at all, just a lack of tolerance for some types of people.....

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#29]
Excluding a few apt-gets (a standard procedure) it works out of the box for me both on ubuntu 64 and 32.

/home/casey/Desktop/BlitzMax/mod/brl.mod/system.mod/system.h:52:22: error: x11/xlib.h: No such file or directory
That is not BlitMax's fault, it means you have no dev headers for the Xwindow system. Just install libX11-dev (or whatever it is called, use synaptic). On linux if you want to develop something you need the dev packages for whatever systems you are using. (Its a good system when you think about it because it reduces bulk)
Installing the package "build-essential" installs many commonly used development headers/libs for you. (although not -all- of them :)

Yeah, gotta love people openly admitting to software piracy lol.
How do you know? he may already have a valid single owner license and live in a country where apple's eula is not fully enforceable.
i doubt it, but it is possible. :D

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#30]
Wish I could help...

Never using linux before a year or so ago, I did have no problems following the stickies from the linux section with getting blitzmax to work on ubuntu without issue, however there certainly does seem to be a lack of official documentation included with the blitzmax package itself, and things may have changed a bit with newer distros of ubuntu/blitzmax.