Howto: openSUSE 11.1

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Howto: openSUSE 11.1

markcw(Posted 2009) [#1]
I have to say I'm impressed with openSUSE, the install process to my relic machine had only one tiny hiccup which was some OpenOffice package error. I also like the way there is only one taskbar on the desktop as well as how stable it feels.

You can get the DVD iso for 32/64-bit/PPC KDE/Gnome/XFCE from opensuse.org, I went for the 32 bit Gnome version. Also, if you're on Firefox I recommend the DownThemAll plugin for metalinks.

Installing BlitzMax is pretty easy but openSUSE treats the DVD as a repo, which is a bit of a novelty. You can change this but the easiest thing is just to put in the disc and go. So the shell install line is.
sudo zypper install gcc-c++ xorg-x11-libX11-devel Mesa-devel

You can search for words in packages with '$ zypper search word' and un-install with '$ sudo zypper remove package'.

The dependencies are listed below. Note that you don't have to specify xorg-x11-libX11-devel as Mesa-devel will install it anyway.

gcc-c++
+ gcc
+ gcc43
+ gcc43-c++
+ glibc-devel
+ libstdc++43-devel
+ linux-kernel-headers

xorg-x11-libX11-devel
+ xorg-x11-libXau-devel
+ xorg-x11-libxcb-devel
+ xorg-x11-libXdmcp-devel
+ xorg-x11-proto-devel
+ xorg-x11-xtrans-devel

Mesa-devel
+ fontconfig-devel
+ freetype2-devel
+ libuuid-devel
+ xorg-x11-devel
+ xorg-x11-fonts-devel
+ xorg-x11-libfontenc-devel
+ xorg-x11-libICE-devel
+ xorg-x11-libSM-devel
+ xorg-x11-libXext-devel
+ xorg-x11-libXfixes-devel
+ xorg-x11-libxkbfile-devel
+ xorg-x11-libXmu-devel
+ xorg-x11-libXp-devel
+ xorg-x11-libXpm-devel
+ xorg-x11-libXprintUtil-devel
+ xorg-x11-libXrender-devel
+ xorg-x11-libXt-devel
+ xorg-x11-libXv-devel
+ xorg-x11-util-devel
+ zlib-devel

_Skully(Posted 2009) [#2]
I was running OpenSuse a little while ago and really liked it... but I sold that machine :( I might dual-boot install when I want to try TileMax on linux

GfK(Posted 2010) [#3]
Done this on OpenSUSE 11.2 today and it worked perfectly. This thread should be stickied.

_Skully(Posted 2010) [#4]
OpenSuse rocks... it installs and dual boots with Windows

Windows on the other hand, will destroy OpenSuse if installed after it

Canardian(Posted 2010) [#5]
I loved OpenSUSE until version 11.1, but with 11.2 they removed PowerPC support, so half of my machines (PS3, System p) can't run it anymore.

Now I'm running Debian on all my machines, and it's actually better, since it boots much faster, and runs programs also faster (benchmark tests also), and has the best WINE support I've seen on any Linux.