Howto: Sabayon 4.2

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Howto: Sabayon 4.2

markcw(Posted 2009) [#1]
Sabayon is the user-friendly version of Gentoo, so it is installed pre-compiled for us.

You can get the DVD iso for 32 or 64-bit KDE/Gnome from sabayonlinux.org. If you're on Firefox, I recommend you install the DownThemAll plugin and use metalinks to avoid the usual download problems. I tried the 32-bit Gnome version.

I thought it was pretty cool to see the World of Goo demo installed on the Sabayon desktop. Usually you get those checkers and robot games which I usually uninstall quite quickly.

Anyway, the next surprise is that Sabayon didn't actually need any dependencies installed for BlitzMax at all, it just worked. However, just for the sake of it here is the shell install line.
sudo emerge -a libX11 mesa-progs libXft libXpm

The -a stands for ask and if you omit it it'll just go right on and do whatever you told it. You can search for names in packages with '$ emerge -s word' and un-install with '$ sudo emerge -a --unmerge package/s'.

The GCC package (which is also C++) is an integral part of emerge as pretty much everything installed is built from source, so I've left it out from this list. Below are the dependencies but this is my approximation and probably not quite right as I couldn't find any way other than '$ emerge -ep package'.

x11-libs/libX11
+ x11-libs/libXau
+ x11-libs/libXdmcp
+ x11-libs/libICE
+ x11-libs/libSM
+ x11-libs/libxcb
+ x11-libs/libXt
+ x11-libs/libXext
+ dev-libs/libpthread-stubs

x11-apps/mesa-progs
+ x11-libs/libdrm
+ x11-libs/libXfixes
+ x11-libs/libXmu
+ x11-libs/libXdamage
+ x11-libs/libXxf86vm
+ x11-libs/libXi
+ media-libs/mesa
+ media-libs/glew
+ media-libs/freeglut

x11-libs/libXft
+ media-libs/freetype
+ media-libs/fontconfig
+ x11-libs/libXrender
+ sys-libs/zlib
+ dev-libs/libxml2

x11-libs/libXpm

markcw(Posted 2009) [#2]
Just updated this as I decided to remove libstdc++-v3 from the install line. I had included it as it wasn't listed as a dependency of gcc but it's a compatibility lib for gcc 3.3 which explains why it's not there.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#3]
Why do you mention gcc 3.3 at all?

markcw(Posted 2009) [#4]
Well I've removed it now. :P

It was because BlitzMax 1.30 is tied to using gcc 3.3 and some people still use that.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#5]
Ah. Okay.

They should really update though ;-)