Where does the executable go?

Archives Forums/Linux Discussion/Where does the executable go?

julianbury(Posted 2009) [#1]
I am New to Linux and to BlizMax.
After many hours of familiarisation, I have managed to get a demo or two working.
The demo pops up a window, which is good, but when the IDE closes, there is no sign of an executable to run.

Where did it go?

My BlitzMax folder is on my desktop.
My source files are in a BMX folder on my desktop.

My newly created executables are nowhere to be found.

Help!

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#2]
If you are creating "untitled" apps, then they will go into the BlitzMax/tmp folder.

Be warned however, that the source files will be overwritten the next time you open the IDE and create a new untitled file with the same name.

Better to Save As your .bmx file somewhere. The executable will be built in the same folder.

D4NM4N(Posted 2009) [#3]
^^that and..

Linux/Unix files do not -need- extensions like windows/dos, the info is usually in the file's header. Extensions only really get used where it is essential to know the file type (eg. images, pdfs etc), but even then a lot of apps know a jpg is a jpg from it's header rather than extension. You can name your output "whatever.exe" or something to distinguish it but this is not nessecary, and 90% of the time (and the 'norm' in fact) the "exe" usually is the name of the application you are making/running.
(sorry, btw if you already knew that :)

To run an executable binary you use the "./" prefix eg."./whatever_linexe" when running from terminal (or double click as you do in windows, executables usually have a different icon, in nautilus anyway)
-Be aware that an file also needs permission to be executable, but they should already be in this case.
-Downloaded files are the opposite and you would need to set it (right click properties) or use "chmod 755 filename" from terminal.

Note: Running your apps (or any app) from the terminal is more useful because you can use the terminal to output information from your app and it also can give you diagnostic info if there is a problem.
Another tip: like on windows terminal you can press TAB to complete the names of files, so if you type "./w"(and press tab), if there is only one exe starting 'w' it should complete it. Pressing tab twice will list all the possible options. Likewise using the copy command as example: "cp wha"(presstab twice) will list all files with "wha". etc..

julianbury(Posted 2009) [#4]
Hiya guys :-)

Thank you for your advice, just great.

How do I title and untitled source file?

dawlane(Posted 2009) [#5]
If your using the IDE use Save As (keyboard shortcut Shift+Ctrl+S) in the File menu. In nautilus (the file manager) right-click the file to re-name and select Remane. From the command line use: rename (for more information on this command in a terminal type man rename)

julianbury(Posted 2009) [#6]
Thank you for that :-)

(-_-)